Useless Gmail Video Chat

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
conta

Useless Gmail Video Chat

Post by conta »

i just read artcile : http://www.osnews.com/story/23707/[b]Gm ... s_to_Linux[/b]

http://www.google.com/chat/video

but what i see?

Unfortunately Google voice and video chat is not available for PowerPC Macs.

lol? i am not on PowerPC
damNageHack

Re: Useless Gmail Video Chat

Post by damNageHack »

Unfortunately, Google is providing only a deb package currently.
You can unpack it and copy the files over to the right places.
Archlinux User Repository has already a build script to transfer the deb file to an arch package. Maybe someone can adapt that script for salix/slackware?
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/googl ... n/PKGBUILD
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
lighans

Post by lighans »

gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

lighans wrote:http://slackblogs.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... kware.html

should that work with Salix?
Haven't tried it, but if it works in slackware, it should work in salix.
ray

Post by ray »

Just tried the slackbuild, works fine on Salix.
And, it works with Midori too. :D

@gapan,
Too much to ask for adding it as default in Salix?
The pidgin build that comes with Salix doesnt support video chat(i presume this is a slackware direct package) and this plugin would be a nice touch to out of the box experience.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

OK, didn't read anything about it, but: Is this Google Talk only or usable with other Jabber services, too?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Redistribution of the package seems to have at least one problem ...
10. License from Google

10.1 Google gives you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the software provided to you by Google as part of the Services as provided to you by Google (referred to as the “Software” below). This license is for the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Services as provided by Google, in the manner permitted by the Terms.

10.2 You may not (and you may not permit anyone else to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law, or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Google, in writing.

10.3 Unless Google has given you specific written permission to do so, you may not assign (or grant a sub-license of) your rights to use the Software, grant a security interest in or over your rights to use the Software, or otherwise transfer any part of your rights to use the Software.
12. Software updates

12.1 The Software which you use may automatically download and install updates from time to time from Google. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the Services and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit Google to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the Services.
see http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?hl=de
thenktor wrote:OK, didn't read anything about it, but: Is this Google Talk only or usable with other Jabber services, too?
AFAIK, it is XMPP based. But Google uses some own additions. I understand this thread as a request for the original google client as a plugin for browser.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

damNageHack wrote:AFAIK, it is XMPP based. But Google uses some own additions. I understand this thread as a request for the original google client as a plugin for browser.
IIRC a XEP (xmpp extension?) was planned for audio/video, but google did something on their own... So no real idea.
But I don't see why we should add a google only video service to the ISO.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
ray

Post by ray »

I only asked for it because the pidgin build disables video/audio.

I think this is because we use the build from slackware. Can we ask for Salix to build pidgin with video seperately?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There is a thread in this forum about pidgin with video/audio support. Search for it. I find it very unstable and slackware is right for not including support for it by default.

Also, there is no chance this will be included in the repos.