13.1.1 XFCE - suspend/hibernate

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
sphere

13.1.1 XFCE - suspend/hibernate

Post by sphere »

Hi all.

I recently installed Salix OS to check it out. I was actually quite impressed with what you guys have accomplished. I'm an old Slackware user, but the last year or so have come from the Arch scene.

I encountered only one real problem with Salix on my laptop which I couldn't figure out.

I did the basic install, and set up XFCE, installed xfce-power-manager.

I configured it to suspend when I close the lid, and it suspends alright, but the screen doesn't resume upon wake-up. The same goes for hibernation.

If I suspend via pm-suspend or via the actions menu in XFCE, it works perfect, but not when I suspend through physically closing the lid.

I can however wake up the display by switching console (ALT+CTRL+F1/F2/F3) but then X doesn't start up.

I have added my user to both the power group and made an entry in /etc/sudoers to allow my user to do a "sudo pm-suspend/hibernate" without needing a password.

Anyone have a solution for me?

Keep up the good work guys!
pwatk

Re: 13.1.1 XFCE - suspend/hibernate

Post by pwatk »

To resume from hibernation you need to edit /etc/lilo.conf and add a resume= variable pointing to your swap partition.

You can do this by appending this command to the append= line at the top of the file like this:

Code: Select all

# Start LILO global section
# Append any additional kernel parameters:
append="quiet  vt.default_utf8=1 resume=/dev/sda1"
Or you can use an addappend= line within each boot command section you think requires hibernation. Here a section from my lilo.conf:

image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.33.4-smp
  initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
  root = /dev/system/root
  addappend="resume=/dev/system/swap"
  label = Generic
  read-only
Note, I use an LVM on my hdd, your swap partition is probably something like /dev/sda1. You'll also notice I use the generic kernel with an initrd but you can ignore this.
sphere

Post by sphere »

I already have resume=/dev/sda2 (which is my swap) in the append line in lilo.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

To be honest I never use suspend and I only hibernate if I run out of battery so I doubt I can be much more help, sorry.
sphere

Post by sphere »

making the switch back to arch linux solved my problem.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

sphere wrote:making the switch back to arch linux solved my problem.
Hmm, then it justifies my suspection that it is some kind of an issue with the loaded modules. The hibernation/wake script seems not to unload and load the modules well. XFCE uses a different way to initiate hibernation than pm-utils (I doubt that XFCE uses pm-utils at all).
If you are still interested in getting Salix to work properly with your machine: Which modules have you loaded before going to hibernation?

lsmod
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.