Salix Liveclone vs. Zenwalk Liveclone

salixosuser

Salix Liveclone vs. Zenwalk Liveclone

Post by salixosuser »

Greetings,

I am a new to Salix user and just started to become familiar with this OS, so pardon me if I repeat something that was already covered.
I have been using ZenwalkLive 5.2 (custom re-mastered) CD for several years now and recently tried 6.4 Live. To my disappointment 6.4 Live is not as good (IMHO), and appears missing a key capability: Liveclone function that was part of 5.2. This lead me to Salix Live and at the first glance it seams very well done and thought out with regards what is important.
Question: Is the Liveclone function in SalixLive working the same way as such function used to work in ZenwalkLive 5.2 or is it different? I hope to test it over the weekend, but I would appreciate some heads up info.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Liveclone vs. Zenwalk Liveclone

Post by Akuna »

Hi salixosuser, welcome to Salix :)

LiveClone in Zenwalk 5.2 is a few version below the version in Salix 13.1.
You should find it quite similar, except for a few more functionalities. You can now use Grub2 as well as isolinux/syslinux. Contextual help is clearer, etc...

You want to make a customized CD-ROM or USB key?

If you want to make a CD-ROM + isolinux, please use this version:
http://people.salixos.org/akuna/livetoo ... h-1plb.txz
(this fixes a bug which only affects CD-ROM +isolinux, you don't need it if you choose another option/combination).
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

Hi Akuna,

Thank you for your informative reply and for the link. At this point I am looking to use LiveCd customization first so the link you include comes in handy.
Congratulations on such well done OS. All functionality, desktop layout and aesthetics is excellent. Way better (IMHO) than Zenwalk 6.4, which appears to have taken a step back.
Would you know what is memory requirement for Salix Live? From my testing it appears to have a problem with 256M but appears to run well in 512M...
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

I'm not sure but I would imagine that nowadays 256 Mb is too low while 512 Mb is probably a minimum to have a usable environment with Xfce.
LXDE should be lighter though.
lory

Post by lory »

imho the Salix LIveclone is better than Zenwalk Liveclone.
The only i was wondering is, why Salix uses Python for its installer, Zenwalk uses gtkdialog.
from bash script.
So if you want to remaster Salix you could not delete the python packages, and these are
really some big packages. Am i right?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

This is because the LiveClone developper on Zenwalk sucks a lot while the LiveClone developper on Salix rocks ^_^

Well apart from kidding, python is needed by the way for the startup services. So you cannot remove it easily. Python is also used for all GTK configuration software.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

lory wrote:imho the Salix LIveclone is better than Zenwalk Liveclone.
The only i was wondering is, why Salix uses Python for its installer, Zenwalk uses gtkdialog.
from bash script.
So if you want to remaster Salix you could not delete the python packages, and these are
really some big packages. Am i right?
You are right that if you get rid of python, the installer wouldn't work, but so would a whole slew of other programs. I could be wrong but I don't think your could have a decent environment without python these days. Plus it is not that big that it is that necessary to get rid of it, is it?
I initially wrote LiveClone & the Live Installer (& LiloConfig) for Zenwalk in gtkdialog + bash but soon reach the limitations of this combination which is why I eventually switched to pygtk.
Gtkdialog development seems to have ceased for a few years now... I don't believe any of Salix system tools use them anymore. We use either pygtk or zenity or else ncurse for non graphical environment.
JRD wrote:This is because the LiveClone developper on Zenwalk sucks a lot while the LiveClone developper on Salix rocks ^_^.
Now I don't know if I should feel insulted or tinkled pink... :mrgreen:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

JRD wrote:This is because the LiveClone developper on Zenwalk sucks a lot while the LiveClone developper on Salix rocks ^_^
:lol: :lol: :lol:
fredg

Post by fredg »

JRD wrote:This is because the LiveClone developper on Zenwalk sucks a lot while the LiveClone developper on Salix rocks ^_^
Excellent ! :D

++
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Wuhahaha :twisted: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)