LiveClone issue I am trying to figure out

salixosuser

LiveClone issue I am trying to figure out

Post by salixosuser »

First, my testing indicates to me Salix appears to be far superior to the Zenwalk 6.4.
However, I am running into an important (for me, at least) issue with LiveClone, as follows:
I am booting the original Salix 13.1.1 LiveCD. Then I do just a minor customization of Firefox (basically just setting preferences). Now I run the LiveClone, which after some time creates a customized SalixLive ISO. I burn this ISO to CD (Low speed and verify).
Now I boot this newly created SalixLive in the same PC (Laptop Thinkpad T23 to be exact). It boots as expected and Firefox customizations are preserved. All looks great so far...
Now I boot this LiveCD in another PC (Exactly the same model - Thinkpad T23), exactly same hardware. It boots to desktop as expected but now there is no network connection! Booted several times: same result.
Next, I created another SalixLive via LiveClone on the second laptop. Now network works on the second one but does not on the first one. Again both are exactly the same models - same network cards and all hardware.
I tested such scenarios on three the same T23s (I have five). This problem repeated on all of them.
Now, I took the ZenwalkLive 5.2 CD and booted in these three laptops and this one worked just fine - network connected and all. So the Zenwalk 5.2 LiveClone works as expected.
The LiveClone on Salix 13.1.1 appears to create LiveCd that works on the PC on which it was created but not on other PCs, although exactly the same. The original, stock SalixLive does not exhibit this problem - it works on any PC just fine.
This indicates to me there must have been some changes in new versions of LiveClone, which inadvertently created this issue, which many users may have not noticed, because of booting SalixLive on the same PC on which it was created.
Is there any solution to this problem? Finding a solution is very important to me, because I want to create a customized LiveClone and to be able to use it in any PC.
Please help. This might be something simple to fix or perhaps something special I need to do running LiveClone.
Except this issue for me to figure out, Salix is just fantastic.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: LiveClone issue I am trying to figure out

Post by Akuna »

Yes I noticed that too.
I'll look into it.

Edit: Now I remember, this is probably due to the fact that wireless device can be listed differently from one machine to another, for example: wlan0 or eth0 (& in this case the wired device would be modified as well).

For now, you'll have to look into Wicd preference & change accordingly.

For next version of LiveClone, it will be fixed so that a customized Live media will not include the static settings from their initial host.

Thanks for bringing this up to my attention again, I let it slip somehow. :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You can try removing all configuration files from /var/lib/wicd/configurations and/or the *.conf files in /etc/wicd and remaster the iso without them.
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

Akuna wrote:Yes I noticed that too.
I'll look into it.

Edit: Now I remember, this is probably due to the fact that wireless device can be listed differently from one machine to another, for example: wlan0 or eth0 (& in this case the wired device would be modified as well).
Hi Akuna,

Thank you. Just to clarify, what I reported in result of my testing was strictly wired network connection. I completely excluded any wireless, not to confuse testing.
So all this behavior is just tested on wired, as well as LiveClone from Zenwalk 5.2 (which worked fine) was also just wired.
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

Hi Akuna,

It appears I am not able to find a solution for this bug from my perspective as a user. Therefore my hope is in you, if you could add some priority to this, it will be greatly appreciated.
LiveClone in Salix (And previously in Zenwalk until Zenwalk lost it) is a great asset to Salix, which sets Salix apart from other Linux OS distros. The most important advantage over other Linux distros is not only that LiveClone is the only one making this important function feasible for average user, being simple and based on GUI, but even more importantly it creates a custom LiveCD reflecting the true live environment, which includes apps settings and browser cookies. No other Linux distro can do this and this is such a tremendously important function, particularly when you use this for important use such as banking, where the bank or other need to recognize the user as legitimate, recognizing the user's computer, before subsequent authentication. Most often such information is stored in secure cookies.
Other distros usually have some capability of creating a custom LiveCD to include/remove some apps but no settings or cookies are saved. Only Salix ( And previously Zenwalk) can do it!
This is very important and sets Salix apart from any other out there...
Thanks very much in advance.
Last edited by salixosuser on 18. Oct 2010, 14:49, edited 3 times in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Did you try what I wrote in my previous post or not?
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

gapan wrote:You can try removing all configuration files from /var/lib/wicd/configurations and/or the *.conf files in /etc/wicd and remaster the iso without them.
Greetings Gapan,

Looks like my next post crossed in the air with your reply, which I greatly appreciate. If you could, please read my post, where I explain the importance of the Salix LiveClone function.
I will try your recommendation for the solution to this problem. Will this removing al configuration files kill also application settings and browser cookies, which would defeat the most important advantage of LiveClone?
Also, the original Salix Live 13.1.1 does not suffer from this problem just the output of LiveClone, therefore I assume it does not have any conf files...
Thanks very much.
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

gapan wrote:Did you try what I wrote in my previous post or not?
Greetings Gapan,

I am not able to try now since I am at work now and working very long hours. Tonight will not be possible either. I will try to find some time tomorrow evening.
Sorry for this delay.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Hi salixuser,

Sorry I have been very taken by my work & was away for a couple days.
I'll try to work on a bugfix before the end of the week. ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

Greetings Akuna,

It will be greatly appreciated if the bugfix could be developed. In the meantime I was hoping to find some time to try the workaround suggested by Gapan, but unfortunately I did not have any time to do it.