ZenWalk 7

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
sqlpython
Donor

ZenWalk 7

Post by sqlpython »

Just saw this many have may have noticed this earlier.........

Zenwalk 7 out, Big news is it has Xfce 4.8

http://linux.publisha.com/articles/4151 ... 7-0-beta-1
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
schlawi54

Re: ZenWalk 7

Post by schlawi54 »

the first beta release of Zenwalk
Next time, please read more carefully. 8-)
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Is ZenWalk + Xfce 4.8 mean that Salix will have Xfce 4.8 too in the near future?
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

I have just tested the beta. looks good, but i see that they have dropped their multilanguage support. no scim, no ibus, no uim etc etc. Just to save some space, they opted for supporting less community members. Not a good move, I say. xfce 4.8 looks nicer but nothing more. zenwalk looks polished as always, but i think that's not because they are using xfce4.8.

Their choice of software appears to be made for a music loving zen monk listening to music from online streaming stations while fasting.
Development -> geany (as we are in salix)
Graphics -> GIMP, evince and gThumb (we have viewnior instead)
Multimedia -> Bracero, CD player, Gmusic browser, ISO master, media player, mixer, sound recorder, stream tuner and volume control. (Exaile replaces a lot of these applications with exaile)
Network -> icecat and icedove, gigolo, transmission, gFTP, avahi ssh and nvc, as well as pidgin (classical choice)
Office -> cut-down version of OOo and xsane and orage (orage global time and calender). I have tested the global time, but this looks really bad... no idea why they included this thing. by the way, orage calender comes up if you click on the desktop clock (this is not the case with Salix...)
Accessories and System are application heavy with a hardware lister, printer utility, firestarter...

I guess their philosophy has shifted to more austere monastic Linux experience than before. Perhaps that's ok for some, but personally, I would prefer to have a little more warmth in a distro, and I think Salix is doing better in this respect.
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Next time, please read more carefully.
I wish I could.....and had the time to search and read it all, really! :) This is a very good forum.
Besides, The fun of bringing up a subject again is that it may illicit new responses..

Anyway, schlawi54, we have you! 8-)
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

I guess their philosophy has shifted to more austere monastic Linux experience than before. Perhaps that's ok for some, but personally, I would prefer to have a little more warmth in a distro, and I think Salix is doing better in this respect.
Couldn't agree more.. ;)
The epitome of no warmth in an OS Home page however would have to go to the Slackware Project.... :lol:

Let me add... Love Slackware but they need some Art at home.
schlawi54

Post by schlawi54 »

tsuren wrote:Their choice of software appears to be made for a music loving zen monk listening to music from online streaming stations while fasting.{…}
:lol: +1
In my opinion, the update system is chaotic. You have to read through nearly the whole forum to find all patches.

@sqlpython
Sorry, do not take my comment too personally. But it makes a difference to announce officially a well declared beta or just a (final) release. :?

@zAchAry
Why do you not provide packages then? ;)
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Sorry, do not take my comment too personally.
Not necessary, you misinterpret my post.. :oops:
I was making apologies/err excuses for not picking up on the Zenwalk 7 prior post which I did not see...
I will always SEARCH before I ask a question but sometimes not when I post NEWS. My reason being to start a discussion...
So, don't mind me... :D
I post too many forums and try to get to them all as well as doing Development work for Distros and Moderating..
My time is tight..
I have been on Forums since 1985 and a Linux User from 1995. So, don't think you can say anything that would disturb me... ;)
Oh, yeah I got that pesky Day Job and then there is that Eating, Sleeping and Bathroom Stuff.... :lol:

Peace, Friend schlawi54 8-)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

tsuren wrote:orage calender comes up if you click on the desktop clock
This is just a configuration of orage. I configured it like this on my Salix.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

zAchAry wrote:Is ZenWalk + Xfce 4.8 mean that Salix will have Xfce 4.8 too in the near future?
No, because Salix is not Zenwalk. Salix is meant to be stable :mrgreen: :twisted: :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)