Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is ready for testing!

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Xfce 13.2beta1 is ready for testing!

Post by gapan »

For anyone that is running current, the recent updates from slackware have a new dependency to slapt-get/slapt-src, libassuan. So before doing any upgrading, make sure you install libassuan first, or slapt-get and slapt-src won't work.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

Oh Noooooo!

I just blew my current install. Gslapt died and now I know why. Tried rebooting using Tab > Salix linux single but I can't boot the system now. Came here on another box to see if there was a 13.2beta2 and saw the above post.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

justwantin wrote:Oh Noooooo!

I just blew my current install. Gslapt died and now I know why. Tried rebooting using Tab > Salix linux single but I can't boot the system now. Came here on another box to see if there was a 13.2beta2 and saw the above post.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
No reason to get upset. Just download the libassuan package from a slackware repo manually and install it with spkg.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

No reason to get upset. Just download the libassuan package from a slackware repo manually and install it with spkg
I don't think it'll be that simple. I can't boot the system, it fails as soon as it tries to run /sbin/agetty

If libassuan was not installed where would gslapt fail. During download or during upgrade/install? Also would The Salix packages starting with /var/slaptget/Salix/a/ install first and then the slackware packages?

It looks like somethings downloaded I don't know if all did. I might chroot in and try to use upgradepkg to manually install whats there and see if that give the beast a life or maybe I'll just renstall beta1 and start from scratch. Note I was running Xfce-4.8 and kernel 2.6.35.11 and was set to upgrade to kernel 2.6.37.3. This may not be a stock 13.2beta1 upgrade problem.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

I've now been running the beta pretty well exclusively since it came out. Working well, with only a few oddities to report.

Brasero, set to generate and test an image checksum complains about being unable to eject the media at the end of testing the burnt image.

Seamonkey 2.1b2 is not completely backward compatible with 2.0.x - bookmark storage has changed, so going from 2.1b2 to 2.0.12 and then back to the beta loses all the bookmarks. :) Not too important....

Cmake produces a menu entry, but will not run the gui - missing a libQTGui library.

The update notifier is behaving a bit strangely - it will appear in the system tray, but when opened, Gslapt reports no updates available. Has happened several times. I am running my own MC build (4.7.5.1), so I've blacklisted MC - I wondered if that might be causing the odd behaviour, but can't think of any way to really check.

Other than those items, the beta has been rock solid, running really well. I also like the new login screen graphic - very nice.

Must get round to installing the 64-bit version as well.

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

justwantin wrote:
No reason to get upset. Just download the libassuan package from a slackware repo manually and install it with spkg
I don't think it'll be that simple. I can't boot the system, it fails as soon as it tries to run /sbin/agetty

If libassuan was not installed where would gslapt fail. During download or during upgrade/install? Also would The Salix packages starting with /var/slaptget/Salix/a/ install first and then the slackware packages?

It looks like somethings downloaded I don't know if all did. I might chroot in and try to use upgradepkg to manually install whats there and see if that give the beast a life or maybe I'll just renstall beta1 and start from scratch. Note I was running Xfce-4.8 and kernel 2.6.35.11 and was set to upgrade to kernel 2.6.37.3. This may not be a stock 13.2beta1 upgrade problem.
This seems like a whole different problem. You probably upgraded the kernel, but didn't run lilo.

Gslapt wouldn't fail in any case. It would simply not launch again. But everything that it started to do would be finished.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

Gslapt downloaded the new kernel but it wasn't installed something happened during gslapt's run. I might chroot and have a play with it tonight.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

justwantin wrote:Gslapt downloaded the new kernel but it wasn't installed something happened during gslapt's run. I might chroot and have a play with it tonight.
If you access your Salix partition with say a LiveCD, or whatever, you could, if necessary install missing packages from that location if you download them manually and use 'installpkg --root' or 'spkg --root='
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

justwantin wrote:Gslapt downloaded the new kernel but it wasn't installed something happened during gslapt's run. I might chroot and have a play with it tonight.
I've done this many times, just chroot, do a lilo -v and reboot
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
steepleone

Post by steepleone »

xfcebeta: notification for....nothing! I confirm!
steepleone