Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

seacat

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37beta2 is ready

Post by seacat »

I'm running my newly 13.37 installation (32-bit) on my Dell Inspiron.. I'm in the first start and all is working (video, wireless card, sound system, touchpad, webcam, etc). As says Mr Burns, Ex-ce-lle-nt!

I'll continue testing...
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

tnmarktx wrote:rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Install seamonkey-solibs with slapt-get.
but hey every release of flash is pretty much a beta.
Indeed :mrgreen:
Awesome job! I love the way Salix OS does Slackware.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

Font does not appear as clear as in previous versions of the Slix OS. Also noted the uneven spacing between letters in a word. Settings did similar in the menu: Settings -> Appearance -> Font. How else can we improve it from displaying?
seacat

Post by seacat »

I'm using the spanish keyboard layout, but how can I configure the keyboard for latinamerican layout? (the spanish keyboard layout it's a bit different).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

tnmarktx wrote:Curious why that 64 bit flash square does not appear to be installed by default. I realize that it may be a beta release, but hey every release of flash is pretty much a beta.
If we did that it would be a huge mistake. As far as displaying videos from youtube and playing flash games it probably mostly works, but noone knows how many security holes are in there and it's essentially unsupported. If adobe refuses to call it final, we certainly can't support it either. With firefox 4 the need for flash has been reduced significantly anyway, youtube works great with html5 video and youtube is the major reason flash was needed. I actually don't have flash installed in any of my PCs. I don't need it anymore.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

loukingjr wrote:Just installed SalixOS 13.37beta2 and all is well except, I am still having a problem with qtconfig. launching it in the terminal gives me this...
louis[~]$ qtconfig
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
I'll have to try that. Was it working in a default 13.1 installation?
loukingjr wrote:I was also wondering if there is an equivalent of gnome-color-chooser or a version of lxappearance that will let me change the colors of GTK themes.
Not exactly what you're asking for but close enough I think. You can create new gtk themes based on existing ones just by copying the theme directories to a new one. For example:

Code: Select all

cp -r /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks /usr/share/themes/MyClearlooks
and then edit the /usr/share/themes/MyClearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file with a text editor and change whatever colours you want.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:Font does not appear as clear as in previous versions of the Slix OS. Also noted the uneven spacing between letters in a word. Settings did similar in the menu: Settings -> Appearance -> Font. How else can we improve it from displaying?
The font rendering has changed. Most people say that they prefer the new one. It's a matter of taste I guess.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

seacat wrote:I'm using the spanish keyboard layout, but how can I configure the keyboard for latinamerican layout? (the spanish keyboard layout it's a bit different).
Run the keyboard configuration tool and select the appropriate keymap. No idea what that might be though.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

One bug in this beta is that the ndiswrapper package won't work. It has been compiled against an older version of the kernel and needs to be updated. It will be fixed for the final release.

And I finally noticed what others were complaining about in the previous beta thread. The update notifier prompts for updates right after 1st boot, but there are no available package updates. We might switch back to the salix-update-notifier that we had in 13.1 instead of slapt-update-service that is in beta2.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

gapan wrote:And I finally noticed what others were complaining about in the previous beta thread. The update notifier prompts for updates right after 1st boot, but there are no available package updates. We might switch back to the salix-update-notifier that we had in 13.1 instead of slapt-update-service that is in beta2.
Requires the ability to disable the check. Now this is achieved only by removing of the update program.