Salix Xfce 13.37beta3

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 13.37beta3

Post by gapan »

Since Pat is taking his time to release Slackware 13.37 final, we can have another beta release. Not a lot of things have changed in 13.37beta3, compared to beta2. The most obvious change is the switch back to salix-update-notifier, which was also used in our 13.0 and 13.1 releases, in place of slapt-update-service, which had a few annoyances we couldn't fix. The kernel has been updated to version 2.6.37.6, which looks like is going to be the kernel that will be included in 13.37 final. Other changes include minor fixes in the installation scripts and several package updates/rebuilds. So, you can download this beta, in both 32bit and 64bit flavors from the following links:

32-bit (md5: 97aa54d423a45deb1f97f13d3b88e6ed, size: 593MB)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
64-bit (md5: f5f5064c31e71b16c16bbc3e16355307, size: 580MB)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Have fun!
solar

Re: Salix Xfce 13.37beta3

Post by solar »

Thanks a lot! I will install it on my netbook :)
lmello

Post by lmello »

gapan wrote:The most obvious change is the switch back to salix-update-notifier, which was also used in our 13.0 and 13.1 releases, in place of slapt-update-service, which had a few annoyances we couldn't fix.
In my VM machine, slapt-update-service was included in a 'FULL' installation. I had to switch to salix-update-notifier manually.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

lmello wrote:In my VM machine, slapt-update-service was included in a 'FULL' installation. I had to switch to salix-update-notifier manually.
Oops. You're right! Somehow the change didn't stick. It's fixed for good now. Thanks.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

Just installed the 32-bit beta 3. First time I've done a complete install for a while. One minor nit in the install - I have an NTFS partition on the laptop. During the install, I get the option of adding it to /etc/fstab. I selected to add it, and was a little alarmed to see that the system identified it as FAT32 rather than NTFS. Not a real problem - fstab has been correctly set up with ntfs-3g, so its a cosmetic error in the installer.

Paul.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I've taken a look at the SeTDOS installation script (the one that handles adding Windows partitions to fstab) and as far as I can see nothing has changed from the original Slackware script.

It would be interesting to see your output from fdisk -l when booted from the installation disc though.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I just installed RC3 on my brand spanking refurbished Dell Latitiude D630 Core 2 Duo. (I always on the trailing edge of technology :)). Anyway, the install when well, only issue is of course since its a Dell, no wireless driver because of the Broadcom chip. I used pwatk's b43-fwcutter package to install the drive and now its working without problems. I also did a complete install, dual booting with Vista. I recall seeing something also about FAT32, but didn't take much notice until I read Paul's remark. My fstab is also setup with ntfs-3g.
I like the new artwork, but will eventually change since I tend to prefer a darker theme, but I'm in no hurry. I'll be using this labtop as my every day from now on, so I'll report any issues if they come up.

Thanks to the Salix teamfor this release, outstanding as usual.

Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Oops, I obviously read that wrong. I thought the installer had incorrectly detected the filesystem when adding it to fstab!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm still getting that thing where there aren't actually any updates, despite the notifying-icon.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:I'm still getting that thing where there aren't actually any updates, despite the notifying-icon.
Remove the slapt-update-service package and install salix-update-notifier. If you read the comments above, this was supposed to be included in this beta but was missed by accident.