Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37beta1

Post by mimosa »

I must admit I haven't been using the workspace feature as yet, and also, I didn't realise C-t e let you type the label to go to that window - unlike C-t w. The other clunkinesses remain, however. I suppose that leaves the need for C-z in some forms as the worst thing I've found so far. You can always just have a reserve browser for awkward sites.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Two queries on workspaces, which I'm writing a usage summary for now.

Does

C-M-S-F$i # Move window to workspace $i

mean Ctrl-Alt-Shift F2 or whatever? Because that is how you get out of X : :lol:

Secondly, C-t W lists the workspaces counting from zero, but everything else seems to count them from 1. I can explain this but it remains untidy.

EDIT Something I don't understand is the difference betwen C-t k and C-t K - I thought the former killed the window and the latter killed the app, but when I tried it just now in Vimprobable, this window remained intact. Now I'm not sure how to quit an app at all :lol: ... tsuren says there are several ways :!:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Two queries on workspaces, which I'm writing a usage summary for now.

Does

C-M-S-F$i # Move window to workspace $i

mean Ctrl-Alt-Shift F2 or whatever? Because that is how you get out of X : :lol:
Hm... yes, that doesn't work. :D

I could patch rpws to change this keybinding. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Actually, I'd better make it a ratpoison keybinding. How about "C-t F#", using the F1...5 keys?
REEDIT: And "C-t F11" moves to previous workspace and "C-t F12 moves to next workspace. I will add these to the default ~/.ratpoisonrc:

Code: Select all

bind F1 exec rpws move1
bind F2 exec rpws move2
bind F3 exec rpws move3
bind F4 exec rpws move4
bind F5 exec rpws move5
bind F11 exec rpws moveprev
bind F12 exec rpws movenext
mimosa wrote:Secondly, C-t W lists the workspaces counting from zero, but everything else seems to count them from 1. I can explain this but it remains untidy.
Yes. That's how it is.

EDIT: But I can change that too, so that C-t W lists all workspaces counting from one instead.
mimosa wrote:EDIT Something I don't understand is the difference betwen C-t k and C-t K - I thought the former killed the window and the latter killed the app, but when I tried it just now in Vimprobable, this window remained intact. Now I'm not sure how to quit an app at all :lol: ... tsuren says there are several ways :!:
"C-t k" deletes a window. That means that it closes it, just like pressing the X button in other window managers. "C-t K" kills the window. Just like running xkill and killing an app.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I think it'd be tidier to go a bit further and have C-t F1-5 be go to that workspace, F6-F10 move current window to that workspace + 5, and C-t F11 and F12 as you suggest. And if you can alter the effect of C-t W so the numbers are the same, that'll make it tidier still.

I'm getting close to a first draft and I'd like to send it to you to check for errors and any suggestions. After all, you've been using this WM for months - I've only been using *a tiling WM* for months. I'm not quite sure which one I'll go with now! I definitely agree with you about mostly working with one window, but I very quickly got used to making that happen in xmonad even though several keystrokes are needed. C-t as default escape sucks about as much as xmonad's default of Alt, though in both cases I understand the choice of something that will at least work long enough for you to change it.

gmountman will go on the 'System' menu, won't it?

EDIT A new point: quite a lot of sites with frames like this one

http://ctext.org/art-of-war/nine-situations

don't work properly with either vimprobable or jumanji (j,f do nothing). This must be because the browser doesn't have a mechanism for selecting which frame to focus on. Or does it?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm having trouble getting privoxy running with vimprobable (it works for Jumanji).

I have in my vimprobablerc:

set proxy=true
and in rc.local just before privoxy is called:

export http_proxy="127.0.0.1:8118"
Have I missed anything?

I was please to discover by accident that : open s [search terms] goes to Scroogle :P
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:One trouble with Jumanji is it won't even follow links without this behaviour being specified in a config file. For a Salix edition, though, it could come with a sensible working configuration as default, couldn't it?
Can you provide such a config file? Vimprobable2 just seems like a better default to me.
mimosa wrote:gmountman will go on the 'System' menu, won't it?
Yes.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Can you provide such a config file?
I simply followed JRD's instructions, and tweaked them. The only thing I had to change was his download script which doesn't seem to work with the Ratpoison edition, so I went back to the default in jumanjirc.

My reading tells me that Vimprobable can be configured further by recompiling it after altering config.h in the source. That 's' option for Scroogle, for instance, must be in there. JRD also has

sawi - search Salix wiki
safo - ditto forum
wiki - ditto wikipedia

Like ratpoison itself, the configuration is easy - though some things need a script, like f to follow links. As you will remember, JRD provided one.

I do think Vimprobable2 is a perfectly reasonable default, though. Whatever one chooses, tweaking is either necessary or beneficial. Ratpoison isn't made for the incurious.

EDIT Though the need to use C-z to enter form data on some sites is an unfortunate blemish.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I can confirm that the mount manager works in xfce now I have installed gnome-mount (gvfs was already there). :D

By the way, is anyone apart from me testing this beta? I've totally monopolised the thread ;)
macondo

Post by macondo »

Hi, i'm new, just installed Salix 1337 Fluxbox, good job! My favorite wm is rp, i got it running in Salix, no problem (slapt-get did the job). Basically, i used this article as reference:
http://thinkmoult.com/2009/05/13/ratpoi ... malist-wm/

BIND KEY
Following the article's instructions, i created the file: .xmodmaprc

$ touch .xmodmaprc

And then added these lines (save/exit)

remove lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 66 = F13
Now the bind key is the Caps_lock instead of Ctrl+t

$ touch .ratpoisonrc
$ nano -w .ratpoisonrc

and pasted this:

alias term exec xterm
escape F13

exec xrdb -merge "$HOME"/.Xdefaults
warp off
startup_message off
set winname class
defborder 0
set padding 0 0 0 0
defbarpadding 0 0
exec xsetroot -solid black -cursor_name left_ptr
bind semicolon colon
set bargravity sw
set winfmt %n %s %t
set fgcolor yellow
set bgcolor black
set font "Terminus-12"

alias showroot exec ratpoison -c fdump; ratpoison -c 'select -' -c only
alias unshowroot exec ratpoison -c "frestore at $HOME/.rpfdump"

### Escritorios virtuales/Workspaces
exec rpws 1
exec /usr/bin/rpws init 6 -k

## bind = F13
bind F1 exec rpws 1
bind F2 exec rpws 2
bind F3 exec rpws 3

#Focus
bind J exchangedown
bind K exchangeup
bind L exchangeright
bind H exchangeleft

bind j focusdown
bind l focusright
bind h focusleft

##Alt-tab
definekey top M-Tab next
definekey top M-ISO_Left_Tab prev

### Atajos de teclas/Keybindings
bind e exec pcmanfm
bind f exec firefox
bind m exec claws-mail
bind u exec xchat
bind l exec leafpad
bind r restart
bind Pause exec sudo /sbin/halt -p
bind p exec sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now
bind w windows
bind space exec xterm
bind a time
bind k kill
bind Escape abort
bind o only

rudeness 13

## Las teclas de de la fila de arriba no precisan de bind (F13)
# Para lanzar un Run box/To launch a Run box (Ctrl+Space bar):
definekey top C-space exec

# Para hacer un screenshot/To make a screenshot (Press the Print key)
definekey top Print exec xterm -e scrot -cd 10

# Sound Volume
bind KP_Multiply exec amixer set Master 5%+
bind KP_Divide exec amixer set Master 5%-
Screenie

I'm learning Salix/Slackware :)
PS: in the keybindings, to shutdown and reboot the machine, i use sudo NOPASSWD.
I also got rid of gdm and changed the run level in /etc/inittab to 3:

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
id:3:initdefault:
and use 'startx' to get into the X system.
My .xinitrc looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
xsetroot -solid black
xrdb -merge .Xdefaults
unclutter -idle 2 &
numlockx &
xmodmap .xmodmaprc
exec ratpoison
Last edited by macondo on 17. Jun 2011, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

I'm giving this a test-drive on my Dell Mini netbook. I have never used Ratpoison before, but it seems like a great fit for a netbook. I must confess I've "cheated" a little by installing Xfce as an alternate environment while I'm learning my way around Ratpoison!

Curious if there are any other netbook/laptop users, and if so, what are y'all using for power management?