Salix Live Xfce 13.37 alpha

JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 alpha

Post by JRD »

Any place where I can get more info on you new system SaLT? Which is the new way to construct modules?
For SaLT, for now, there is no web page or wiki. It's just in our subversion repository (https://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/svnro ... alt/trunk/)
About the way to construct modules, it's quite the same as before, but with the .salt extension:

Code: Select all

mksquashfs DIRECTORY MODULE.salt -b 1M -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -Xdict-size '50%'
About the USB key problem, I need to debug it/look at it.
ikke

Post by ikke »

JRD wrote:For SaLT, for now, there is no web page or wiki. It's just in our subversion repository (https://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/svnro ... alt/trunk/)
About the way to construct modules, it's quite the same as before, but with the .salt extension:

Code: Select all

mksquashfs DIRECTORY MODULE.salt -b 1M -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -Xdict-size '50%'
About the USB key problem, I need to debug it/look at it.
Thank you very much for reaction. Merci beaucoup. J'apprécie énormément.

Am aware this is 'alpha'. So will do more testing when beta and rc versions are available.

Wishing you all the best with your efforts.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Thought I'd just post an update.

I've been rather preoccupied with a number of things outside of Salix for the last month or so but I am still committed to testing the network boot options. I need to sit down and setup all the services again since upgrading my little test server (I changed some hardware, decided to do a fresh install of 13.37 then didn't touch it for nearly a month).

I'll get back to you when I've set everything up and taken it for a spin.

-pwatk
ikke

Post by ikke »

Time is passing by... Bientôt le mois d'août !!!

Any new development? When the beta version?

Thank you.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I have to apologise that I haven't come forward with any testing results for the network boot initrd but my hardware upgrade was followed by a hardware failure followed by other events.

I have my little server back up and running now though so (fingers crossed) I might finally get some testing done.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Actually a lot of tests and improvements have taken place in the background, thanks to your feedback.
The 'USB' bug has been fixed, the process of adapting LiveClone to SaLT is nearly completed and much work has also been done with Grub2.
JRD should be releasing the beta version in a few days. ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Ok, I've finally got everything up and running and I have to say it's totally awesome :ugeek:.

I'm using VirtualBox to test with at the moment because I need to rebuild the initrd with the kernel module for my ethernet card (sky2). This is kind of annoying but at least it can be rectified easily and I have no idea if my card is rare or not so I can't really suggest anything other than adding more modules by default.

I've only tried Samba so far and although everything works I'm sure I've seen a few errors or warnings in yellow roll by during startup but I'm not quick enough pausing the VM before the tty clears/resets to see what they are. Everything seams to work fine regardless so I can only assume it's not critical.

Is there anyway to specify an iso or sub-directory on the share or must you devote a share to salixlive? This isn't a big deal I just wondered if it was possible or not.

That's it for the minute, I need to setup some more services and play around with it all for a bit then I might have more.

Great work.

-pwatk
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I think the yellow warning is about the absence of a save file for persistence (which I don't have) so I think it's save to say this isn't anything to worry about.

NFS and samba work as expected and I still haven't got around to making a new initrd for my laptop. I'll give the other options a go in the next few days as I'm particularly interested in using SSH as I might add this to the installation disc scripts :).

Edit: I nearly forgot, everything seams to hang on 'turning off swap' when shutting down. I'm not sure if this is a VirtualBox problem or not yet though.
Shador

Post by Shador »

pwatk wrote:I'm using VirtualBox to test with at the moment because I need to rebuild the initrd with the kernel module for my ethernet card (sky2). This is kind of annoying but at least it can be rectified easily and I have no idea if my card is rare or not so I can't really suggest anything other than adding more modules by default.
sky2 is actually very common afaik. I think I'm using it on all of my machines and am pretty sure too that I've seen it on other machines too. So IMHO that module should be included. Maybe provide a script like mkinitrd to build a custom initrd manually. Maybe that could spped things up too???
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I probably should have said that I was referring to the network boot ramdisk (initextra). JRD seams to have a slightly newer version on his server so I'm probably gonna take that for a spin in the next few days.

I just checked the drivers list which is a few months old and the sky2 module appears to be there so your probably right and I might have other issues.