Debian "The best Linux distro of 2011!"

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
sqlpython
Donor

Debian "The best Linux distro of 2011!"

Post by sqlpython »

Declared after extensive testing at Tuxradar.. My Alma Mater .. Grin
Participants were Arch, SuSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint & Debian
Read it and Weep (non-Debian Users that is).. http://www.tuxradar.com/content/best-distro-2011

There will be lots of disagreement of course but the results were due to All Around averaging.

Can't understand why the Testers left out of the Testing la Grande Dame' of Linuxes Slackware!
I left a comment and said so...... ;)
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Debian "The best Linux distro of 2011!"

Post by thenktor »

sqlpython wrote:Can't understand why the Testers left out of the Testing la Grande Dame' of Linuxes Slackware!
I left a comment and said so...... ;)
I know why I've said in another thread that Slackware is not one of the big distributions. It's the oldest and by far the coolest but I'm sure it has a relativly small user base (compared to RedHat, Suse, Debian based stuff) and often it's just not considered for tests or third party software :(
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
GJones
Donor

Post by GJones »

Probably because Debian is stable as a rock and includes an incredible amount of software in its repos, which is exactly what Joe User wants. It does make up for that by making it an utter pain to compile anything, but most desktop users do not care about that.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

GJones wrote:It does make up for that by making it an utter pain to compile anything
What I've learned in my early Linux years: I hate all distros with "-devel" packages because they make compiling stuff horrible. And I've always met a situation where I needed to compile something.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Zappus

Post by Zappus »

thenktor wrote:
GJones wrote:It does make up for that by making it an utter pain to compile anything
What I've learned in my early Linux years: I hate all distros with "-devel" packages because they make compiling stuff horrible. And I've always met a situation where I needed to compile something.
That is so true. No matter how huge the repo of a distro can be, it never has every package you might need. And besides compiling from source teaches you at least a little bit and gives you the full power of open-source software.