(re)Start issues

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
jpg153
Donor

(re)Start issues

Post by jpg153 »

Hi all,

I just wiped Zenwalk 6.0 and installed SalixOs.
And having some slight trouble, as I dont remember all settings or how to get it... :roll:

1. How to get the video configuration up? I want to get full support for my Ati Radeon 9250...but I dont know how to boot into a terminal session to run it...
2. There were some "scripts" for Thunar to get access on files/directory with immediate root access - but were to look up?
3. I used Claws previously and saved the directories/folders on a SD Card. How to get back to a working Claws best?
These are the most urgent questions, rest will come.

Installation went fast and smooth, just around the Lilo configuration/install the system went back to line output rather than video output, but with next screen all went fine again.

So, Good Job Gentlemen!

Maybe a XFCE bug, but the shutdown panel always has some kind of html tags on top...instead of a real heading...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Regards Gruß
jpg
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: (re)Start issues

Post by gapan »

jpg153 wrote:1. How to get the video configuration up? I want to get full support for my Ati Radeon 9250...but I dont know how to boot into a terminal session to run it...
If you run init 3 from a root terminal you will drop to console only mode. Or you could enter Linux 3 after you hit the TAB key at the lilo boot prompt. Go back to graphical mode with init 4
jpg153 wrote:2. There were some "scripts" for Thunar to get access on files/directory with immediate root access - but were to look up?
Maybe I don't understand exactly what you mean, but if you want to open a thunar window as the root user, the fastest way would be to open a terminal window, su to become root and run thunar from there. Not having a more obvious option to use that is deliberate, users should not be encouraged to launch file manager windows as the root user, they could destroy their system really easy.
jpg153 wrote:3. I used Claws previously and saved the directories/folders on a SD Card. How to get back to a working Claws best?
Do you want to keep your mail on the SD card or move them to your HD? If you want to keep them in the SD card, then you need to point claws-mail to it I guess somehow (sorry I don't use claws-mail, so I'm not that familiar with it). If you want to move them to your HD, just move them to the appropriate directories.
jpg153 wrote:Maybe a XFCE bug, but the shutdown panel always has some kind of html tags on top...instead of a real heading...
What language do you use? thenktor has shown me exactly the same thing with German. It's a bug with the German translation in xfce.
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Or you could enter Linux 3 after you hit the TAB key at the lilo boot prompt. Go back to graphical mode with init 4
That was what I was looking after! Thanks!
What language do you use? thenktor has shown me exactly the same thing with German. It's a bug with the German translation in xfce.
Yes! German as well!

Re Thunar, I think to remember there are some Thunar goodies somewhere out, so the user can add several options to the standard Thunar menues. Maybe I will find it again. Its really handy if you can open a file in geany as root from Thunar without going

Code: Select all

SU
in terminal first. I will keep you posted!

So Claws is probably straight forward - Thanks!
Regards Gruß
jpg
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Hi,

still no luck with videoconfig!

When I ran

Linux 3
on boot up, I came to a terminal screen.
But whatever I did, "videoconfig" is not recognised as a command...

Where am I wrong?

Help! :?:
Regards Gruß
jpg
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

jpg153 wrote:Re Thunar, I think to remember there are some Thunar goodies somewhere out, so the user can add several options to the standard Thunar menues. Maybe I will find it again.
Oh, I see what you mean now. You can find that by going to Edit/Configure custom actions.
jpg153 wrote:still no luck with videoconfig!

When I ran

Linux 3
on boot up, I came to a terminal screen.
But whatever I did, "videoconfig" is not recognised as a command...

Where am I wrong?
You're not wrong. There is no videoconfig command in Salix. Why do you want one? Do you want to create a xorg.conf? Doesn't your graphics card get autodetected properly by xorg without one? I'm sorry, I'm completely unfamiliar with ati cards.
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Gapan,

thanks.

Well I thought doing "videoconfig" is a recommended standard to ensure the graphic card is detetced properly and not to run just VESA standard.
But if that behaviour has changed in X, I will not care!
How can I see/check whether the ATI driver is used?
Regards Gruß
jpg
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You shouldn't need any xorg.conf at all with recent xorg versions. It should autoconfigure properly. Check your xorg logs in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to be sure.

Another way to test is remove the xf86-video-vesa package. If xorg can still launch after that, then you can be sure it wasn't used at all. ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

The german xfce logout bug exists from the beginning in all xfce 4.6 versions but AFAIK it's finally fixed in svn.

For you graphics problem:
http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/U ... org_driver
I think possible drivers are ati, radeonhd & radeon, but I'm not sure.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Shador

Post by Shador »

Yes it is fixed:
http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5279

There is also a patch should you want to fix it. :)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

My new ati card also did'nt work well out of the box. I had to download the proprietary driver & install it. But first you will probably have to slapt-get the kernel-source package until the kernel-headers is fixed.

You'll find the driver plus install instructions here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.