Awesome Distro!

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
NanoSurfer

Awesome Distro!

Post by NanoSurfer »

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to say hi and to say what an amazing distro this is and just to thank you for all the hard work you guys are doing! Wow, truly awesome!

Just to give you a brief history of my Linux experience, I started using Ubuntu about 4 months ago and within a week I removed Windows of my laptop and went with a full installation of Ubuntu. In fact, I am still using it but I think I am going to shift to Salix in the near future. My reason for trying out other distros was out of sheer curiosity as I started delving deeper and deeper into the world of Linux and also, I have noted a few annoying little glitches with Ubuntu (it has not been very stable for me, although in all fairness it could be hardware related? Most of the time it works very well but "Unity" is a definite disappointment for me and also to most users judging by the forum outcry). I was very interested in Slackware but I was scared due to the non "Noob" nature of it.

I decided that I wanted to get my old P4 setup at home as a server (I am in the process of that) and I installed FreeBsd with horrible results! I tried building KDE but it took days and for some reason my 20 gig drive became full then I couldn't finish with it? Not sure what I did wrong, it also kept asking me question after question about stuff I didn't know the answers too. Eventually I gave up and decided to remove it and install Ubuntu Server, with the LXDE desktop environment (I was proud of the fact I managed to get it up and running) but for some reason my mouse would work and then it wouldn't and the system seemed very unstable. I then removed that too.

This brings me to Salinx. What attracted me first off was the Bonsai logo (incidentally I came across Salix by sheer accident) and because I am a keen Bonsai grower by hobby, I decided to give it a go but what impressed me the most is its close relationship to Slackware, as someone put it, Salix is a slackers Slackware ;) I thought that was cool. Also the whole presentation is very professional!

I am in the beginning stages but so far I am most impressed! I downloaded the latest LXDE version and it seems to be running well on the old girl at the moment :)

I am liking it more and more so a big thank you to all the guys who have contributed to this great build and of course for making it freely available for us! You guys rock

I am enjoying working with this distro very much :D

All the best
NanoSurfer
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Awesome Distro!

Post by Akuna »

Hi NanoSurfer and welcome to Salix :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
NanoSurfer

Post by NanoSurfer »

Hey Akuna!

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm starting to feel very at home here! LOVING this distro!!!
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Nice to hear ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
hugok

Post by hugok »

This is really a Awesome Distro. Again i offer my congratulations to the SalixOS team. I was the kind of people that was never satisfied with my GNU/Linux Distribution (Distroholic). Slackware, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu and ArchLinux were my used distros but i never gave myself 100% for none of them. Of my 3 years of experience in Linux i'm now comfortably to said that SalixOS XFCE is my ultimate choice.

Salix is a GNU/Linux distribution based on Slackware that is simple, fast and easy to use. Salix is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware. Like a bonsai, Salix is small, light & the product of infinite care.

In Portuguese:
Salix é uma distribuição GNU / Linux baseada no Slackware que é simples, rápida e fácil de usar. Salix também é totalmente compatível com o Slackware. Como um bonsai, Salix é leve, pequeno e produto de infinito cuidado. [
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79