Coming from Zenwalk

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Coming from Zenwalk

Post by Akuna »

ron_uit_best wrote: Would it be a possibility to install a slackware dvd with minimum packages selected and use salix gslapt to update using salix packages.
Sure. :)

As written on our home page we want to be fully backwards compatible with Slackware & provide good quality packages that are usable by any Slackware users.

This is our way of giving something back to Slackware.

In fact since Salix is Xfce centric, this is probably the best way to have a fully functioning KDE environment & still enjoy a good quality repo with dependency support. (The best of both world :D )
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

ron_uit_best wrote:...
KDEartwork is installed, but no icons.
At first make sure that you ahve these packages installed for your KDE:
kdeartwork
kdebase
kdebase-runtime
kdebase-workspace
kdelibs
kdeplasma-addons
phonon
qimageblitz
qt
soprano

Then remove your .kde settings directory and start KDE.
The gslapt problem is over with the ' xhost +' command. Do I have to keep typing this every time I want to use it?
yes
I also tried copying the entire /home from my slackware install to the salix install, hoping salix would use the slackware settings for kde, but that gave other problems, so I am aiming at fixing this install.
To copy settings files it's best to use rsync.
Would it be a possibility to install a slackware dvd with minimum packages selected and use salix gslapt to update using salix packages. This way the system has no problems with kde, and is happy with mirrors with dependency support. (just asking, let me know if u feel this is not a nice thing to ask)
It's posible, but I doubt that it will help you with your KDE problem. I'm quite sure you are missing some package but I can't tell you which one. Perhaps starting KDE from runlevel 3 with startkde (startx /usr/bin/startkde) shows you some errors.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You're probably still missing some kde (or kde related) packages. I'll see to creating a how-to-install-kde wiki article in the next days.
ron_uit_best wrote:Would it be a possibility to install a slackware dvd with minimum packages selected and use salix gslapt to update using salix packages.
Of course!
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I'm not sure about all needed packages. Everytime I've installed it (without dep repo) I've missed some deps, but after getting them it has worked.
ron_uit_best

Post by ron_uit_best »

Hey,

Did it! It seemed kde-runtime was missing and after installing it all problems are gone. I have removed all of the components of xfce and installed thunderbird (i miss my own language :( )

I have used the Salix install and with all of your help I turned it into a beauty. Running KDE now and being very happy about it.

Tnx for the help and let' s spread the word: there is a new OS!

Regards, Ron
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

ron_uit_best wrote:installed thunderbird (i miss my own language :( )
Why not use kmail in KDE? It's faster than the slow thunderbird ;)
And I hope you've installed the kde-l10n-nl package.

PS: Claws is not available in nl? So it would be great if you'd start translating it ;)
ron_uit_best

Post by ron_uit_best »

Thunderbird was already fully setup (copied the .thunderbird map) so that makes life easier. Maybe I should give Claws or Kmail a try sometime. But without my language I might give Kmail a try soon. I hope it can import a BIG amount of mail from thunderbird?
I do have KDE NL installed. Claws not available in Dutch? I won' t have the time to thing of translating, though I have looked at helping in translations but time is the problem until June 2010, when I hope to finally graduate. (I study in the evening besides work, so busy life)

Now I want to install GNUcash, but the package is not in the repo. Can I use the one from zenwalk? I remember this one was working and in Dutch as well.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

gnucash *is* on the repo ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
ron_uit_best

Post by ron_uit_best »

Akuna wrote:gnucash *is* on the repo ;)
Can' t find it with gslapt or with slapt-get. You must be using a different repo then. Could you point me to the location of gnucash please?
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Check for the repo's as indicated in the download area. :arrow: :!:
Regards Gruß
jpg