Coming from Zenwalk

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Coming from Zenwalk

Post by gapan »

Do you have qt installed? Also read my previous post about dependencies.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

If this is a fresh install from Salix 13.0 iso, it is most probable that the new dependency repository is not yet included in slapt-get/gslapt source.

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=223
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
ron_uit_best

Post by ron_uit_best »

So that is the problem. Now I changed the repos to the one you mention, but there is no KDE in those repos. it says not found

root[ron]# slapt-get -i kde
Ophalen lijst packagesKlaar
Package niet gevonden: kde
root[ron]# slapt-get -i kdebase
Ophalen lijst packagesKlaar
Package niet gevonden: kdebase
root[ron]#

Edit: Sorry, I am using the wrong mirrors on the download page. Will retry now.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

1. kdm is part of kdebase-workspace
2. Using gdm with KDE is useless imho. Why first load gtk libs and then qt libs at KDE start?
3. If you have installed KDE without our dependency enabled mirror you are probably missing a lot of things (e.g. soprano, qtimageblitz, ...).
4. After adding our mirror you should run:
slapt-get -u
slapt-get --search kde
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

wingevil wrote:AFAIK there is no ugly KDE in the Salix-repos...a good decision ;)
First try of a flamewar in our forums? :mrgreen: :P :lol:
ron_uit_best

Post by ron_uit_best »

Hey,

I did a fresh install, updated the mirror and then installed KDE to make sure all depencies were present this time. Also got a kernel panic, which disappeared after I removed the partition and made it logical instead of primary. It was the 4th partition on the disk, which I thought was no problem.

It is working now. A few problems in KDE now: The taskbar is black and I cant change it, also there are no icons in the menu.Besides that there don' t seem to be any other difficulties anymore. Tnx for the help so far.

Regards, Ron

Edit: gslapt is not working anymore, error: no protocol specified
(gslapt:4634): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
wingevil

Post by wingevil »

thenktor wrote:
wingevil wrote:AFAIK there is no ugly KDE in the Salix-repos...a good decision ;)
First try of a flamewar in our forums? :mrgreen: :P :lol:
not really... :P :P :P
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ron_uit_best wrote:Hey,

I did a fresh install, updated the mirror and then installed KDE to make sure all depencies were present this time. Also got a kernel panic, which disappeared after I removed the partition and made it logical instead of primary. It was the 4th partition on the disk, which I thought was no problem.
It shouldn't. Maybe your kernel panic had something to do with lilo not installed properly?
ron_uit_best wrote:It is working now. A few problems in KDE now: The taskbar is black and I cant change it, also there are no icons in the menu.Besides that there don' t seem to be any other difficulties anymore. Tnx for the help so far.
Isn't the taskbar transparent? Maybe this is only when you select to enable desktop effects. Look in the settings manager, it's somewhere in there, probably under something named "appearance" or similar.
ron_uit_best wrote:gslapt is not working anymore, error: no protocol specified
(gslapt:4634): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
That's in kde right? I've seen the same thing on 2 laptops with kde4. Actually no gtk apps would launch from a terminal. But they launch just fine from the menus. Didn't investigate further because both laptops hardly see any terminal usage.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

ron_uit_best wrote:(gslapt:4634): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
you have to run "xhost +" from the user's terminal window. Otherwise KDE blocks X apps from other users than the one who has started the X session.
ron_uit_best wrote:there are no icons in the menu.
Did you install the kdeartwork package? It contains the Oxygen icons in KDE 4.2.4.
Or perhaps you want to try the tangoish-kde-icon-theme ;)
ron_uit_best

Post by ron_uit_best »

Ok, tnx for the replies,

The kernel panic probably had to do with lilo, but it is over with the logical partition. I' ll leave it this way.

For me the taskbar is black, because I cannot see the blue background through it. But maybe some more problems are related to each other, for instance:
- I HAVE to choose KDE-failsafe session on startup, otherwise I have no titlebars, no exit buttons on windows, no screen resizing, I can't move windows, I cannot type in an xterm session, and this is just a few problems.
Desktop effects are disabled and restarted KDE did not work, still have to use failsafe mode to use the pc properly.
KDEartwork is installed, but no icons.

The gslapt problem is over with the ' xhost +' command. Do I have to keep typing this every time I want to use it?

I also tried copying the entire /home from my slackware install to the salix install, hoping salix would use the slackware settings for kde, but that gave other problems, so I am aiming at fixing this install.

Would it be a possibility to install a slackware dvd with minimum packages selected and use salix gslapt to update using salix packages. This way the system has no problems with kde, and is happy with mirrors with dependency support. (just asking, let me know if u feel this is not a nice thing to ask)

Regards, Ron