Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37RC1

Post by mimosa »

Not much of a problem anyway.
Indeed :)
made ddg the default search engine
Google here
See if the new one works.
A new iso? Or a future RC2? I may have mistyped, but the URL for Youtube from the list posted above didn't work either when I typed it out in full.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, a new package. Upgrade with slapt-get.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Fixed. Of course the youtube search isn't much use in Vimprobable because it doesn't do flash ... ;)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, but it works with html5 video. ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You learn something every day. :) I wonder if this will end up displacing Flash ...

Link following in the new version of Vimprobable has an odd glitch here. When I press 'f', a full stop appears at the far left of the bar on the bottom of the screen, and (sometimes) no yellow numbers. Esc and 'f' again makes the numbers appear. The problem doesn't seem to occur (sometimes, anyway) when revisiting a page. Maybe link following has some sort of cache.

Anyway, that dot wasn't there before.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, the hint key has changed to a period instead of ` with this version. Instead of f, you can also use the period key to enter hint mode now (and also comma instead of F for opening in a new window). And I think that it doesn't display hint numbers only if the page hasn't fully loaded yet.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

instead of `
That had passed me by. The new keys are handy, especially the comma. More things to put in the Guide / wiki!

Digression:

Is that the famous 'backtick'? I have trouble with some characters on my Brazilian keyboard: for instance the tilde ã for /home won't appear without a letter under it, though in some apps it does (including Ratpoison's terminal emulator; I don't understand the behaviour in a true terminal at all) by typing twice, as normal. My theory is the backtick is what in Portuguese is a grave accent à but without a letter underneath. Same difficulty.

EDIT

I've booted into the beta to compare with the original version of Vimprobable, and f definitely seems more responsive than in the new version. I don't know if that's because it works before the page has finished loading, or perhaps because it doesn't hang if called early.

Some pages take a while before you see any content at all, but as soon as you do, f works. Also nothing whatsoever appears at bottom left when you press f, such as `.

The yellow highlighting is only applied to the parts of the page you can see, so link 1 is always at the top of the screen wherever you are on the page. If you scroll up or down, there's no yellow. Presumably this is the same in the new version.
Shador

Post by Shador »

mimosa wrote:Is that the famous 'backtick'? I have trouble with some characters on my Brazilian keyboard: for instance the tilde ã for /home won't appear without a letter under it, though in some apps it does (including Ratpoison's terminal emulator; I don't understand the behaviour in a true terminal at all) by typing twice, as normal. My theory is the backtick is what in Portuguese is a grave accent à but without a letter underneath. Same difficulty.
Yes, it's an accent grave without a letter underneath. To enter a tilde, backtick and other dead keys (that's how you call them) without attaching them to a letter, I press the dead key and afterwards space. There's also the choice of no dead key keymaps, but personally I don't like them, because I sometimes need to write french. But if you just always need the dead keys alone and not attached to a letter those are probably handy. One could possibly use some keymap switcher app, too, I guess.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Shador; I'd always accessed these by pressing the dead key twice, and that sometimes doesn't work. Space after does!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Regarding hinting, having lived with it for a while, my impression is that it isn't because the page hasn't fully loaded. I just had the same problem with a page with some wicd screenshots I just posted a link to in another thread, with not that much content, came back to it fifteen minutes later and wanted to follow a link at the top (to see if there were more screenshots). Only deleting the full stop and pressing f again worked, and immediately at that.

Of course it's possible the page was stuck at 99 percent, but this is happening all the time with the new version of Vimprobable, and didn't happen noticeably before. Could it be a local problem?