Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC2

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC2

Post by mimosa »

No, the CD is completely invisible (even to Gmountman) - except for the modules in /mnt/salt/mnt, which I'm assuming come ultimately from the CD and not the stick. The stick with the .live file also appears there, not in /media, and is invisible to gmountman as well.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

The modules under /mnt/salt/mnt are the ones SaLT uses. If gmountman does not see the CD, then I'm pretty sure that SaLT have not seen the CD too, so the modules are the one from the stick. So in this case the problem is that the CD is not visible to Linux in some way. Could you (after booting in the live like you did, i.e. CD+USB) do this :

Code: Select all

$ su
# blkid
and post here the result.
Thanks for your test !
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Here you go!

root[one]# blkid
/dev/loop0: LABEL="SaLTsave" UUID="6a07ebff-b6ec-49a7-b66c-cc06cb505071" TYPE="ext2" 
/dev/loop1: TYPE="squashfs" 
/dev/loop2: TYPE="squashfs" 
/dev/loop3: TYPE="squashfs" 
/dev/loop4: TYPE="squashfs" 
/dev/loop5: TYPE="squashfs" 
/dev/loop6: TYPE="squashfs" 
/dev/sda1: LABEL="SALIX REMAS" UUID="4D15-DBE7" TYPE="vfat" 
Shador

Post by Shador »

Could you upload the output of dmesg somewhere after having booted from 13.37 cdrom + usb (some pastebin e.g.).

Do you possibly have any other Linux installation/LiveCD/... on that machine where the cdrom drive is visible? 13.1 Live? If so that could help us to find out whether this is specific to Salix or a specific version and what exactly is going wrong. Maybe the cdrom drive appears when only booting from USB?

Also what kind of drive is this, i.e. how is it physically connected (SATA/IDE/SCSI)? If SATA is the BIOS set to AHCI or IDE/Legacy/... mode?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'll try and work out about pastebin. How should I investigate the SATA / IDE question?

I'm afraid I wiped 13.1 to do the testing, though if there's time I could try downloading some USB-capable distro.

Today's my last day in Rio (therefore with access to this machine) but I'll see what I can do!

It occurs to me it might actually be a bad burn, and booted at home because the needed .live file and persistence were knocking about somewhere on the hard disk, or maybe I even had a USB plugged in. I don't think so ...
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

OK, the output of dmesg should be here:

http://pastebin.com/7gqysA3p

Title: salix dmesg
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

It appears that the Linux kernel does not detect your optical drive. How is it connected to the PC ? Can you change some BIOS option about it, as suggested by Shador ?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@ JRD

I'm not really sure how to investigate - also my time is now short here. Can you give me any hints?

Windows detects the CD fine, and it does also boot into GRUB.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I would like to...but I don't have any clue why the kernel does not recognize the Cdrom drive. grub2 detect it, so it's weird.
Shador

Post by Shador »

JRD wrote: grub2 detect it, so it's weird.
Not very surprising imho as grub doesn't need to support it itself. By default it just relies on the BIOS to access any sort of disk. And that's what's used for the livecd too as it's the most reliable solution.

You can try this:

mount /dev/sg0 /mnt

mount /dev/sr0 /mnt

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
Before you proceed to the next mount command run first:

umount /mnt