Core or full install for cli laptop experiment.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
globetrotterdk

Core or full install for cli laptop experiment.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I am trying to learn more about Salix OS by digging into the command line. I would like to have a fully functioning cli system running on a laptop. This includes wireless network access, word processing, web access, e-mail, view pictures, play sound files, watch YouTube videos, Dropbox, etc. Is it better to install a core system or do a full install and only use runlevel 3? Is there a Salix OS version that would more easily lend itself to this kind of experiment? My wife has donated her old Dell Latitude D505.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Core or full install for cli laptop experiment.

Post by mimosa »

I'd suggest a full install using whatever DE you feel most comfortable with - or if you want something with a bit of a learning curve that may force you to do things like editing configuration files from console, try the ratpoison edition.

But the thing is it doesn't really matter, because you can do most of your exploring from a terminal. For intensive use, screen is an app that allows you to move quickly between several terminal prompts within one terminal window.

http://www.linuxcommandline.org

has a good overview of the command line, and there's a more in-depth version of the same material available as a pdf download from the same place.

Other recommendations may be found in the first thread on the "Documentation" board.

EDIT You can access a "real" terminal (what you'd see in runlevel 3) by doing ctrl-alt F2. alt-Fx then moves between those available. Alt-F4 or Alt-F7 will get you back to X. But for nearly all purposes, a terminal emulator run from inside X will do the same job.
antmon

Post by antmon »

@mimosa
Very well explained! 8-)
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for the reply mimosa. There are two main points for me:
  • I tend to use the gui if it is available
    I am interested in finding out if a Salix OS cli system is a viable alternative to a gui, particularly when installed on a laptop
There are some things that would need to be done differently with a cli, such as connecting to networks. I imagine that the ncurses version of wicd would be most useful on a cli environment, but then comes the question of being able to load items at boot that I commonly use, such as Dropbox, webdav, parcellite, etc. Is it possible to multiplex in the command line in runlevel 3 or only switch between virtual consoles? I can use cmus for listening to .mp3, .ogg, .flac etc. files, as well as streaming icecast, shoutcast, but can Whaaw! Media Player be run from the cli like mplayer? I found a good list of cli programs at http://kmandla.wordpress.com/software/, but it is a bit dated.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

globetrotterdk wrote:Is it possible to multiplex in the command line in runlevel 3 or only switch between virtual consoles?
What do you mean? Multitasking? Either switch the consoles or use screen.
globetrotterdk wrote:I can use cmus for listening to .mp3, .ogg, .flac etc. files, as well as streaming icecast, shoutcast, but can Whaaw! Media Player be run from the cli like mplayer? I found a good list of cli programs at http://kmandla.wordpress.com/software/, but it is a bit dated.
I did not check, but I'm 99 % sure that Whaaw does not have a console frontend and won't run without X.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

mplayer will play music in console, and you can watch videos using its ASCII output feature - Thenktor put me on to this some time ago. I prefer the black and white version to colour, as the output is cleaner. ;)

I see what you mean about not wanting to have the GUI option available, to force you to use console. However, then there will be a lot of things you just can't do. Once you've got your hand in, you should quickly find plenty of things you want to do that are either much easier in console, or can *only* be done there. Pretty much everything works from a terminal emulator such as xterm or rxvt (depending which Salix edition you're using).

I forgot to mention the Ratpoison edition boots into runlevel 3. You start the WM by

Code: Select all

$startx
but it's not obligatory.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

thenktor wrote:What do you mean? Multitasking? Either switch the consoles or use screen.
I have seen what screen and terminator do, called "multiplexing". Terminator can for example split the terminal into separate horizontal or vertical terminals. No way to do this in runlevel 3? The amount of virtual consoles available in runlevel 3 could be a drawback if processes like Dropbox, webdav, etc. each require a separate virtual console.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

screen doesn't require X. But I've never had the problem you mention.

Btw:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... CII#p13299
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

globetrotterdk wrote:
thenktor wrote:What do you mean? Multitasking? Either switch the consoles or use screen.
I have seen what screen and terminator do, called "multiplexing".
That's why I've said: use screen ;)
http://www.rackaid.com/resources/linux- ... nd-how-to/
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for everyone's advise. I will follow it and install a system with a DE and use screen. 8-)