Detect new upgrades graphically (XFCE and others DE)

Other talk about Salix
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Script to detect new upgrades graphically on XFCE

Post by JRD »

The sudo idea does not sound good for me, either. sudo is somehow a security leak, especially then without password requirement configured. We should not start the "Ubuntu way" ( :shock: ) of doing things, nevertheless Ubuntu asks for user's password, it is cached for a period of time. Setting suid flag for update-process-notifier or using a little daemon script will be the nicer way of doing such a watch job. What if you run on a server, i would not suggest such things, but what if the user likes it?
You will learn that sudo could be used in a better and more sure way than Ubuntu does.
About suid a daemon script, you must know that it won't work. suid is only working on ELF files and it's not a secure way to do things...
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Sorry also from me. I do not want to criticize your well done job. I am very glad to be an user of such a linux distribution with a little team because the chance to get some benefit is better according to my opinion.

But these are *two* different configuration files having influence to the behaviour of s-u-n :P
/etc/cron.hourly/slapt-get-update - default 1 hour
/$HOME/.config/salix-update-notifier - default 2 hours
or /etc/salix-update-notifier.conf - default 2 hours

There is a physical law by the way that the sampling rate should be the half of the update rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate
The Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem states that perfect reconstruction of a signal is possible when the sampling frequency is greater than twice the maximum frequency of the signal being sampled,[4] or equivalently, when the Nyquist frequency (half the sample rate) exceeds the highest frequency of the signal being sampled. If lower sampling rates are used, the original signal's information may not be completely recoverable from the sampled signal.
I want only to help if I can.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Don't worry damNageHack, there's no conflict, we're all just chatting. :)
damNageHack wrote:But these are *two* different configuration files having influence to the behaviour of s-u-n :P
/etc/cron.hourly/slapt-get-update - default 1 hour
/$HOME/.config/salix-update-notifier - default 2 hours
or /etc/salix-update-notifier.conf - default 2 hours
/etc/cron.hourly/slapt-get-update is not a configuration file. There is nothing to configure in that file. It's a script that calls slapt-get and is run by cron every hour. You can't change that interval, unless you move the script to a different directory.

Files /etc/salix-update-notifier.conf and $HOME/.config/salix-update-notifier configure exactly the same thing: the interval the notifier uses to check for updates. The first one is system-wide, the second is user-specific.
damNageHack wrote:There is a physical law by the way that the sampling rate should be the half of the update rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate
That has nothing to do with what we're talking about. It's about sampling rate in digital audio (or other digital signals) engineering. :D
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:That has nothing to do with what we're talking about. It's about sampling rate in digital audio (or other digital signals) engineering. :D
Just wanted to note the same. It's only needed to have the slapt-get-update interval shorter than s-u-n checks for updates.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

What about that?

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- ... tpm-plugin

Code: Select all

git clone http://git.xfce.org/git/panel-plugins/xfce4-smartpm-plugin/
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

damNageHack wrote:What about that?

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- ... tpm-plugin

Code: Select all

git clone http://git.xfce.org/git/panel-plugins/xfce4-smartpm-plugin/
Only works with XFCE :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Sure, it works only with XFCE. Should be only a hint that there is something already available. Maybe some features can be ported or so.

"My fridge works only with power." :o :lol:

Then you have to change the thread title "Script to detect new upgrades graphically on XFCE" :P
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

That was my first post and my first script is about a script under XFCE. Afterwards, gapan developped and provided a package more generally.
I will change the topic, yes.
Thank you for the link, I may test it :)
caitlyn

Re: Detect new upgrades graphically (XFCE and others DE)

Post by caitlyn »

Why not just incorporate slapt-notifier into Salix? I've used it in Vector Linux and it works well.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Detect new upgrades graphically (XFCE and others DE)

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:Why not just incorporate slapt-notifier into Salix? I've used it in Vector Linux and it works well.
Because I have tried and tried to get it work, but it never did. The daemon it runs just disappears into thin air without even a trace of debug info.

And welcome! :)