Slackware based Linux distributions suitable for beginners?

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
niculinux

Slackware based Linux distributions suitable for beginners?

Post by niculinux »

Hello :)

The name's niculinux. I'm new to linux, but somewath eager to learn more about it... :lol:

sO, AFAIK Salix OS is the only slackware based linux distro that is even suitable fro newcomers, I tryied today in a brief live session, the 64 bit xfce version, latest salix avaiable.

I would kindly ask a question:

Are you aware of other Slackware based Linux distribution suitable for begginners?

as far as I can tell I saw the some "friendly" distro may be:

1) Salix OS :mrgreen:
2) Vector linux
3) Zenwalk linux

what can you tell me about these? And are out there some oher slack based "made easy"

Thank, even only for reading :)
Last edited by niculinux on 23. Feb 2012, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
nosaku

Re: Slackware based Linux distributions suitable for beginne

Post by nosaku »

Salix OS, Vector Linux, and Zenwalk are all based on Slackware. I did not try the others but Salix OS is the one I am using and I think it is the purest Slackware based distribution with some nice artwork. It is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware. One thing I like a lot about Salix OS is the gslapt package manager which can install/upgrade the packages along with dependencies. So if you are looking for a pure Slackware based distribution but which is much easier to install and update, Salix OS is the right candidate.
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

nosaku wrote:Salix OS, Vector Linux, and Zenwalk are all based on Slackware. I did not try the others but Salix OS is the one I am using and I think it is the purest Slackware based distribution with some nice artwork. It is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware. One thing I like a lot about Salix OS is the gslapt package manager which can install/upgrade the packages along with dependencies. So if you are looking for a pure Slackware based distribution but which is much easier to install and update, Salix OS is the right candidate.

ok, very much thanks. :D

So no other slackware-based-easy-made linux distro are avaiable?

If so, I guess I'll stick to salix, also because zenwalk and vectro are 32 bit only, if I got it right...
nosaku

Post by nosaku »

It's not like there are no other Slackware distributions. The following Wikipedia page show a list of Slackware based distros. But I am not sure how many of them are being actively maintained. So yes if you want a very good, actively maintained, 64-bit "bonsai Slackware", go with Salix OS :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Li ... ware-based
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

there's also that Porteus tha seems very friendly.

OK, if someone else has got nothing more to say I'll label this as solved...

;)
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

There is still the Absolute Linux.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

We have this thread about Slack based distributions: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29
No idea which ones are suitable for beginners. Probably beginners at first should mess around with some none Slack b*llsh*t bingo distributions, so that they know afterwards how cool Slackware actually is :twisted: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

I'd say Slackware [oops! I meant Salix] is the most friendly, now we have the live version. Introducing gparted, putting the manual on the desktop, and allowing a live usb stick to be made from Windows are great ideas.

Vector's not bad, and the Light version is great if you've only got a 128MB computer. The last time I tried Zenwalk, it got in a muddle with time zones, and the installation disk had no printer support: not even CUPS!
Last edited by DavidMcCann on 24. Feb 2012, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Slackware? You must mean Salix ... :)

I'm not sure if I'm a beginner any more, but I certainly was when I moved to Salix. I did a lot of distro-hopping, so it feels like that was an informed choice, as well as (in retrospect) a very good one for me personally. What set me distro-hopping in the first place was dissatisfaction with Ubuntu, and maybe that's a necessary second stage for many people - the first stage being dissatisfaction with Windows.

I'd say one thing that sets Salix apart is polish. It looks stylish, has ergonomically excellent graphical tools, and the attention to detail means there are fewer glitches to throw the unwary off their stride.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

There is still the Slackel - Live CD based on Salix OS with the latest version of KDE. Developer - djemos. By the way, recently was released the SalixLive KDE 13.37 RC1.