New user with a question.

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
4-stroke

New user with a question.

Post by 4-stroke »

Hi. I'm really impressed! I've always liked slackware but it comes with the kitchen sink which I don't need since I have a dishwasher. ;) I installed the core system yesterday. And by adding wpa_supplicant I got my wireless running.

Instead of downloading the whole xorg I just installed it from the slackware cd, then I got openbox and firefox from the repo. Then got tint2 and used tintrc from thenktor. Thanks!

Now to my question:
How do I set a background in openbox?

I tried using feh from slacky.eu but it complains about missing libgiblib.so.1 although i have imlib2 installed.

Edit: Nevermind. I just found out that giblib is a separate package. Sometimes using ones brain helps. :oops:
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: New user with a question.

Post by thenktor »

I guess you want to use a file manager, too ;) So just install pcmanfm from the repo and start it with "pcmanfm -d" in openbox' autostart.sh.
In pcmanfm's setting menu you have to check something like "Manage desktop".

PS: Of course there are around 1000 other ways to set a desktop background, too.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
4-stroke

Post by 4-stroke »

Thanks for the suggestion. I got it working with feh at last. My plan is to go with a minimal set of apps, thats why i wanted feh as it can be used as a image viewer too.

Why would I want a filemanager when there is Midnight Commander? ;)
OU812

Post by OU812 »

If you use feh, then you may be interested in this page

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/04/28 ... -with-feh/

I also found a page, probably same author, that described how to use feh to browse your wallpaper directory using thumbnails, but I can't remember where I found it.

john