Mouse problem and themes - SOLVED

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
baboo

Mouse problem and themes - SOLVED

Post by baboo »

I really like this distro. I am a fan of slackware but have not used it on the desktop but salix has changed that. Really nice job!

Problem 1: I am using a HP notebook with synaptic touchpad. If I leave the notebook inactive for 2 minutes or longer the mouse disappears and I cannot get it to return. I've never experienced this with any other distro show this has me perplexed. Could it be some timing out issue? Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Problem 2: Sorry for this newbie question. Are you using gnome? I want to try some themes but not sure which base I should use. It looks like you are using gtk2? Any help on where to install themes would be appreciated.

thanks for the desktop os.
Last edited by baboo on 21. Nov 2009, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Mouse problem and themes

Post by gapan »

baboo wrote:Problem 1: I am using a HP notebook with synaptic touchpad. If I leave the notebook inactive for 2 minutes or longer the mouse disappears and I cannot get it to return. I've never experienced this with any other distro show this has me perplexed. Could it be some timing out issue? Any thoughts would be very appreciated.
This is weird indeed. Maybe a screensaver problem? Are there any errors in /var/log/messages? What graphics card do you have?
baboo wrote:Problem 2: Sorry for this newbie question. Are you using gnome? I want to try some themes but not sure which base I should use. It looks like you are using gtk2? Any help on where to install themes would be appreciated.
No, it's xfce: http://www.xfce.org/
Xfce uses gtk2 too and all gtk2 apps feel right at home. You can look for extra themes in http://www.xfce-look.org/
4-stroke

Post by 4-stroke »

Problem 1: Haven't got a clue... ;)
Problem 2: Salix uses xfce4. You can go here for themes: http://www.xfce-look.org/

Edit: Too slow! :lol:
baboo

Post by baboo »

thanks for the fast replies! Here is the output of /var/log/messages:

ov 20 07:46:05 darkstar gnome-keyring-daemon[8277]: couldn't set environment variable in session: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
Nov 20 07:46:19 darkstar ntpd[3353]: Listening on interface #2 ra0, 192.168.1.160#123 Enabled
Nov 20 07:47:02 darkstar ntpd[3353]: synchronized to 207.171.30.106, stratum 1
Nov 20 07:47:02 darkstar ntpd[3353]: kernel time sync status change 0001
Nov 20 08:05:12 darkstar -- MARK --

Problem2: Thanks for the answer. I thought xfce themes are installed in ~./themes but I cannot find that.
Shador

Post by Shador »

baboo wrote:Problem2: Thanks for the answer. I thought xfce themes are installed in ~./themes but I cannot find that.
Per user themes yes. If the folder is not there just mkdir it and put your themes there. It should work.
Gobal themes (the one you see now) are installed by the package management in /usr/share/themes
baboo

Post by baboo »

thanks Shador for the help.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Nothing wrong with that part of /var/log/messages. But you didn't answer which graphics card you're using. Maybe you can try creating a minimal xorg.conf with only a device section and add

Code: Select all

Option  "HWCursor"  "off"
to it.
baboo

Post by baboo »

thanks gapan. I have nvidia geoforce 6150. Will try your suggestion.

thanks again
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Perhaps installing the nvidia driver may be a good idea :?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
baboo

Post by baboo »

thenktor: thanks for the reply. I run 2 slackware servers with the same nvidia card and have never experienced this. So, nothing to lose - will install.

thanks