Are there any updated 13.37 Roadmaps or TODO lists?

Adys

Are there any updated 13.37 Roadmaps or TODO lists?

Post by Adys »

Are there any updated 13.37 Roadmaps or TODO lists? What I already found was not updated.

For example, are there any plans on releasing a SALIX 13.37 LIVE LXDE? Or any other SALIX 13.37 LIVE "low-resources" DE edition?

I have seen additional sections of the web site that may need some updated info, but since I'm posting in the "Live CD" section of the forum...

TIA.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Are there any updated 13.37 Roadmaps or TODO lists?

Post by gapan »

I don't think we maintain such a TODO list anywhere. Anyway, live lxde and fluxbox editions are planned and will be released at some point. It's just that the people responsible for them are a little bit too busy with real life at this point. Once they have some free time, you'll see some movement. They will be ready when they're ready I guess.
Adys

Post by Adys »

Thanks for your reply.

If you mean that there is no such Roadmap / TODO list at all, well, there is indeed one at:

Code: Select all

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/SalixLive_Roadmap

If you mean that it is there, but not maintained, then you are correct; it's not and that's why I asked for some update :).

I understand that you don't have any fixed dates. But since:
_ I couldn't find any relevant info about plans (even without dates);
_ I couldn't find any mention about new updated LIVE editions;
_ There is already some work on Salix MATE (packages) and some hint about, maybe, some future MATE Edition (which doesn't seem to be so "low-resources" edition, but maybe I'm wrong);
_ According to the info about SaLT, the time to build new LIVE editions should be less than in the past;
_ Between Salix 13.37 LIVE Xfce and LIVE KDE there was some testing info (betas, RCs...) and there is nothing about Salix 13.37 LIVE LXDE yet;
_ After LIVE Xfce and LIVE KDE, there were some bug reports and potential improvements (that could be usefully applied / implemented in the next LIVE LXDE);

then I was in doubt, not (just) about (specific) dates, but about the plans themselves. BTW, I agree that releasing it before it's "really" ready is, generally speaking, a mistake.

I would guess that, even if there are some plans for the next LIVE Editions, if it takes "too long" then the plans won't be really relevant. If the Team members that are responsible for LIVE LXDE could anyway add some kind of info...

I guess we just have to wait for it and there is nothing we can do about it (right?).

Independently, maybe the Roadmap page could be updated anyway?

TIA.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Adys wrote:If you mean that there is no such Roadmap / TODO list at all, well, there is indeed one at:

Code: Select all

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/SalixLive_Roadmap
The problem with such published roadmaps is that the people that wrote them in the first place tend to forget they did.
Adys wrote:_ There is already some work on Salix MATE (packages) and some hint about, maybe, some future MATE Edition (which doesn't seem to be so "low-resources" edition, but maybe I'm wrong);
No, MATE is definitely not as lightweight as LXDE is. But don't assume that the people that are responsible for the live CDs are also the ones behind MATE. They aren't.
Adys wrote:_ According to the info about SaLT, the time to build new LIVE editions should be less than in the past;
Yes.
Adys wrote:_ Between Salix 13.37 LIVE Xfce and LIVE KDE there was some testing info (betas, RCs...) and there is nothing about Salix 13.37 LIVE LXDE yet;
There hasn't been any progress at all, so there is no information. There will be a round of beta and RC isos once there is, but for now, there is nothing.
Adys wrote:I would guess that, even if there are some plans for the next LIVE Editions, if it takes "too long" then the plans won't be really relevant. If the Team members that are responsible for LIVE LXDE could anyway add some kind of info...
The problem is: what if they don't even have the time to add the info?
Adys wrote:I guess we just have to wait for it and there is nothing we can do about it (right?).
Not necessarily. If anyone else wants to jump in and give it a shot at creating these releases, you're welcome to do it.
Adys wrote:Independently, maybe the Roadmap page could be updated anyway?
I don't disagree, but it has to be updated by the people that are working on it. I can't update it. I wouldn't know what to update.

edit: well, I updated it with a note that says that you shouldn't pay attention to it. :mrgreen:
Adys

Post by Adys »

[OT]
gapan wrote: MATE is definitely not as lightweight as LXDE is. But don't assume that the people that are responsible for the live CDs are also the ones behind MATE. They aren't.
I didn't mean MATE itself. I meant the MATE packages available now for Salix. I'm new not only to the forum, but to Salix at all, so I don't know who takes care of what (yet).

BTW, at http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 970#p21970 there is a post from "stefano-k", from the MATE Team.

[/OT]
gapan wrote:
Adys wrote:_ Between Salix 13.37 LIVE Xfce and LIVE KDE there was some testing info (betas, RCs...) and there is nothing about Salix 13.37 LIVE LXDE yet;
There hasn't been any progress at all, so there is no information. There will be a round of beta and RC isos once there is, but for now, there is nothing.
Of course. My point was that, since there was no info about a future Salix 13.37 LIVE LXDE (until your answer here) and no beta / RC either, then that's a sign that it may take "too long" so to be relevant.
gapan wrote: The problem is: what if they don't even have the time to add the info?
Then, after awhile, maybe (just maybe) some user asks about it and someone kind enough has the answer :). Unfortunately, ATM the final result is still the same as before. SaLT may be useful / efficient for the devs, but unfortunately if the Team doesn't have enough time to use it, then it would be not effective anyway (Please don't misunderstand this as any form of complain of any kind).
gapan wrote: If anyone else wants to jump in and give it a shot at creating these releases, you're welcome to do it.
:D If by "anyone" you are suggesting for me to try it, I'm sorry but my Linux knowledge is too low to even think about it.
gapan wrote:
I don't disagree, but it has to be updated by the people that are working on it. I can't update it. I wouldn't know what to update.

edit: well, I updated it with a note that says that you shouldn't pay attention to it. :mrgreen:
Well, at least future readers won't take that page too seriously. Thanks. Maybe someone else from the Team could update that Roadmap page.

FWIW, I'm still interested in Salix 13.37 LIVE LXDE, so if there is any info, I'd appreciate if it could be posted. TIA.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Adys wrote:
gapan wrote: The problem is: what if they don't even have the time to add the info?
Then, after awhile, maybe (just maybe) some user asks about it and someone kind enough has the answer :). Unfortunately, ATM the final result is still the same as before. SaLT may be useful / efficient for the devs, but unfortunately if the Team doesn't have enough time to use it, then it would be not effective anyway (Please don't misunderstand this as any form of complain of any kind).
That wouldn't be different with another framework. Actually afaik the old framework previously used is no alternative anymore. That's the reason why a new one was developed in the first place.
The main work is just testing, which requires many consecutive tries/builds for many small and big problems until a version that is releasable as beta. Nothing can speed that up although the waiting for the new framework caused quite big delays for the individual edition creators to start working.
Adys wrote:
gapan wrote:

Well, at least future readers won't take that page too seriously. Thanks. Maybe someone else from the Team could update that Roadmap page.

FWIW, I'm still interested in Salix 13.37 LIVE LXDE, so if there is any info, I'd appreciate if it could be posted. TIA.
That page was written and primarily maintained by Pierrick aka Akuna. I wouldn't have to contribute much there especially not until I'm sure what (concretely) I'm going to work on. You're best bet for a rough idea is currently the team meeting page.
That page was more meant for internal communication anyway, I think.
Adys

Post by Adys »

Shador wrote:
Adys wrote:FWIW, I'm still interested in Salix 13.37 LIVE LXDE, so if there is any info, I'd appreciate if it could be posted. TIA.
That page was written and primarily maintained by Pierrick aka Akuna. I wouldn't have to contribute much there especially not until I'm sure what (concretely) I'm going to work on. You're best bet for a rough idea is currently the team meeting page.
That page was more meant for internal communication anyway, I think.
Thanks for the reply. If I understood correctly from this topic, the "meeting" page is for the Team use, and there was only one actual meeting. So ISTM the info there is not relevant for general users now.

The Roadmap for LIVE Editions has no info for 13.37 at all (not "done" nor "TODO") and most probably part of the old "TODO" will never happen or is not relevant anymore. So that page seems to be also more for "internal" use (to somehow track down the "done/todo") than for general users.

Akuna must be too busy with real life then :), as mentioned before. Those pages have not been updated for a while, and also the info about LILOSetup needs some update.

Back on topic, what I observed was that about 3 weeks passed between Salix 13.37 LIVE Xfce (final) and the first beta of LIVE KDE, and then another 3 weeks for the stable LIVE KDE.

I was thinking that the time between editions would be progressively reduced, after 13.37 LIVE Xfce was the first one based on SaLT and LIVE KDE was the second, probably gaining in experience and improving each LIVE release with feedback.

Since LXDE is "lighter" in needed resources than KDE, having the LIVE LXDE edition is important for some users / systems. I think this is valid in general, but even more for a LIVE edition (which may also be the way many users would try Salix, before deciding to install it or not). Salix Team sure already knows all this.

So, with or without the pages being up-to-date (which IMHO is still relatively important for final users), the bottom line is that we will need to wait for the next LIVE editions and there are no concrete plans. (Whether they'll be out with v13.37, or otherwise they'll take "too long" to be relevant, we'll have to wait anyway.)

Thank you for the replies.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I could try putting a beta of LXDE in place. I prefer to have each one that is responsible for each edition to do it, but I can do it, using the same software set. But I'm not an expert in LXDE, so I will need some LXDE expert to move from a beta to a RC.
Adys

Post by Adys »

@JRD,
JRD wrote:I prefer to have each one that is responsible for each edition to do it,...
I agree. It would be much better to have a person responsible for the specific edition, able to also apply all the previous bug fixes, feedback and improvements (probably scattered between SaLT experience, development and feedback, the 2 previous v13.37 LIVE Editions, previous LIVE LXDE and the v13.37 LXDE (for install) Edition).
JRD wrote:... but I can do it, using the same software set. But I'm not an expert in LXDE, so I will need some LXDE expert to move from a beta to a RC.
Thank you for your willingness and predisposition.

Well, this is the bottom line of having some Roadmap and TODO list. If the alternative would be to wait "too long to be relevant" (as in "it may even take another 10 months or even longer, or may never be released at all" for example), then I would think that there's not much to loose (yet, there would still be some aspects to consider, but let's leave it there for now).

OTOH, if the Team member that was / is really expected to be responsible for the LIVE LXDE Edition has some plan (not specific dates, of course, but some kind of relevant season / months), then maybe it would be worth to wait for him / her.

In addition, I'm sure I do NOT qualify as an LXDE expert, so even if I could try helping with some tests, it would be more from a newbie point of view.

So, with the information I currently have (which is only a little bit more than when I started this topic, but that bit more is, yet, appreciated) I would say we (users) will have to patiently wait for concrete info.

If there are any news (about the LIVE Roadmap / TODO list, or about any new LIVE updates, specially for "low-resources" editions), I'd appreciate if it would be mentioned here too.

TIA.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Indeed, 'real life' can be a jealous b**** sometimes.

That page just got updated. Thank you for bringing up the subject. :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.