Salix Xfce 14.0RC1

Adys

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0RC1

Post by Adys »

gapan wrote:
Adys wrote:(IMHO, a script to download the "latest stable" and install it should be better than adding a specific version in the ISO image, but since I don't have the knowledge to actually write such script...)
That script is called an SLKBUILD file and it's right into your /usr/src/libreoffice-$pkgver dir.
My point being that INSTEAD of including a complete LO at a certain specific version ("current" only at the moment the ISO for Salix 14.0 Xfce gold is built), a script to download and install the "latest stable" (at whichever moment the user installs Salix; whether it is next month or 6 months from now) is, IMHO a better choice. Such "script" would need a nice desktop icon right there after the installation of the OS for newbies to run after the OS has been installed (if so they want), and the "latest stable" LO (whichever version at that moment) would be downloaded and installed, and also added to Gslapt for easy future updates. Saves MB, installing an “older” version (say, 9 months from now), unnecessary downloads and repeated updates...

I'm most probably dreaming :).
And I don't see version 3.5.7 listed as the preferred version in their website. I only see that 3.6.2 is being downloaded by default when you press the download button.
The default download for LO is the "higher" version number released, even when it is not the most "stable" one.

From http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Main_Page for the "higher" version number released (3.6.2 ATM):
Our latest, feature rich version. Alternatively version 3.5.7 is the stable version
Antid Oto

Post by Antid Oto »

Hi all. I'm testing the RC1 release, and I think Xfce 4.10 This very interesting, especially graphic design and software loading speed. However, I have problems with the plugin thunar-volman: I set it up correctly to auto mount removable devices, and I do not get the automatic scanning of these in Thunar. Also configure parole with the command: "parole --device=%d"

But just run the audio CD, but not DVD. I searched a bit on the subject and it seems that Thunar not very well with the modern way of mounting devices using udev, udisks and udisks2. Xfce boys still think will work better with HAL and gvfs!!! I found some solutions but I don't understand at all. I tried SpaceFM because it supports udisks/udisk2 perfectly (without hal/gvfs), but you have to configure a lot to be properly set in Salix (I had some graphical issues, permissions and other things I could see in the logs).

How you would feel the same? I hope you find a solution because I am a fan of Thunar (Ok, too much. I like it because it works fine). Another question: When the final release comes out, ¿Can we upgrade from the RC with slapt-get as usual? Gee, thanks. I have no more to say for now ... :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I just installed both architectures and had trouble with both. i486 gets as far as the login screen (very pretty, btw) but no keyboard or mouse. I rebooted into runlevel 3 and was able to see the following:

Code: Select all

Running /etc/rc.d/rc.modules --> rc.modules-3.2.29-smp
ERROR can't open /lib/modules/2.6.37.6 No such file or directory
x86_64 fails much earlier on:

request-module: recurring loop modprobe binfmt464C
In both cases I installed via USB, and chose not to install lilo. Lilosetup from my existing Salix Ratpoison failed, but liloconfig appeared to work fine. I was actually hoping no bootloader tweaking would be needed at all, as these were installed over the corresponding beta versions.

EDIT Here is the new lilo.conf:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/sda5
  label = Ratpoison
  read-only  # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/sda1
  label = RC132
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/sda6
  label = RC164
... no trouble there, I think.

Or here:

vanilla[~]$ ls -l /media/disk/boot
total 8836
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      37 Oct 25 13:58 README.initrd -> /usr/doc/mkinitrd-1.4.7/README.initrd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      30 Oct 25 14:02 System.map -> System.map-huge-smp-3.2.29-smp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2542480 Sep 17 15:17 System.map-huge-smp-3.2.29-smp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     137 Oct 25 14:03 boot_message.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      26 Oct 25 14:02 config -> config-huge-smp-3.2.29-smp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  126468 Sep 17 15:17 config-huge-smp-3.2.29-smp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  308278 Aug  9 16:35 salix.bmp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      27 Oct 25 14:02 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-huge-smp-3.2.29-smp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6059920 Sep 17 15:17 vmlinuz-huge-smp-3.2.29-smp
and:

vanilla[~]$ ls -l /media/disk/lib/modules
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct 25 14:02 3.2.29-smp
Both architectures look much the same.

Finally:

vanilla[~]$ ls -l /media/disk/etc/rc.d/ | grep modules
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    21 Oct 25 14:02 rc.modules -> rc.modules-3.2.29-smp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35406 Sep 17 15:12 rc.modules-3.2.29-smp
vanilla[~]$ ls -l /media/disk-1/etc/rc.d/ | grep modules
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    17 Oct 25 14:26 rc.modules -> rc.modules-3.2.29
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35406 Sep 17 16:15 rc.modules-3.2.29
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You're loading the same (version 2.6.37.6, made for 13.37) kernel in both RCs. You need to load the 14.0 kernels.

image = /mnt/sda1/boot/vmlinuz
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks gapan, that makes sense. Is that expected behaviour for liloconfig - i.e. I should expect to have to edit lilo.conf manually to point at the right kernel?

To fix it, presumably I need to edit lilo.conf and run lilo - but also ensure the partitions are so mounted at the time. If need be I can mount them manually.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Do you mean liloconfig, or lilosetup?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

liloconfig. lilosetup didn't work (otherwise I'd be fine).

I'm going to have a look at this now and given your advice, I'm hopeful everything will be fine. As a fringe benefit, understanding of how lilo works is beginning to dawn. Akuna gave me some helpful pointers a while back about the paths in lilosetup.conf (or whatever it's called). This is the booster dose ;)

However I'd expect liloconfig to be a bit more helpful than that, whence my question. Did something go wrong, or is it normal for it to produce a lilo.conf pointing at the wrong kernels?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That worked :)

EDIT
That is, I manually mounted the partitions, and edited lilo.conf to point at the right kernel in each case. Then I ran lilo.

However, when I booted into the i486 install, wicd couldn't see any wireless networks. Standard manual configuration (wpa_supplicant & co.) went through with no problems.

This machine lives in my office at the bottom of the garden, so wireless is the only way. Anyway, it works now.

I haven't tried for x86_64 yet, but will edit this post to report back when I do.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Wicd is fine in 64 bits. But I can also report that the i486 RC1 crashed trying to open a second tab in Midori; whence this separate post. That was after running slapt-get -u and --upgrade, which I'm about to do now here.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote:However I'd expect liloconfig to be a bit more helpful than that, whence my question. Did something go wrong, or is it normal for it to produce a lilo.conf pointing at the wrong kernels?
As Slackware Documentation Project says, (http://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:booting) when it comes to multi-booting Linux liloconfig doesn't work as you would expect:
Slackware Documentation Project wrote: In order to use “expert” mode, you'll need to know Slackware's root partition. You can also setup other linux operating systems if you know their root partitions, but this may not work as well as you expect. liloconfig will try to boot each linux operating system with Slackware's kernel, and this is probably not what you want. Fortunately, setting up Windows partitions in expert mode is trivial. One hint when using expert mode: you should almost always install LILO to the Master Boot Record (MBR). Once upon a time, it was recommended to install the boot loader onto the root partition and set that partition as bootable. Today, LILO has matured greatly and is safe to install on the MBR. In fact, you will encounter fewer problems if you do so.
So the best thing you can do is what you ended up doing, manually mounting the partitions and edit lilo.config to point to the kernel images.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"