[FIXED] User's home directory not being properly created

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
stuckinoregon

[FIXED] User's home directory not being properly created

Post by stuckinoregon »

I'm really impressed with the potential that I see here. That being said, as you can see, I'm having a small problem. I've run through the install from the CD twice now and get the same results both times. On initial login as the regular user, I'm told that /home/*username* does not exist. I've verified that during the user setup portion of the install that it does say that the home directory will be /home/*username* but it certainly doesn't appear to be creating it. Since it then doesn't create the proper directory, it doesn't receive the standard desktop or setup. I will look at the install logs to see if there's anything telling, but wanted to get this up in case others are having similar issues.

(...and yes, I did check the md5 and burn on the slowest speed. No, I have not tried it on another machine as I don't currently have another one available, but may shortly.) :|
Last edited by stuckinoregon on 26. Dec 2009, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: User's home directory not being properly created on 13.0.2

Post by gapan »

This is really strange. What is your partitioning scheme? Do you have a separate /home or not and if you do, did you format it? Are you sure the /home partition gets mounted? Maybe there are mount errors that cause the /home partition to not mount and lead to your problem?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Are you the one from the mailing list or do we already have a serious problem here? :cry:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Just did an install in a VirtualBox with Salix 32 bit and I've used simple user creation. Everything has worked fine.

Did you use simple or advanced user creation?
stuckinoregon

Post by stuckinoregon »

gapan wrote:What is your partitioning scheme? Do you have a separate /home or not and if you do, did you format it? Are you sure the /home partition gets mounted? Maybe there are mount errors that cause the /home partition to not mount and lead to your problem?
Thanks for all of the rapid responses!

I allowed Salix to autopartition and accepted the defaults

df shows that /dev/dha3 is mounted as /home
thenktor wrote:Are you the one from the mailing list or do we already have a serious problem here? :cry:
Nope, sorry. Wasn't me.
thenktor wrote:Did you use simple or advanced user creation?
Just the simple user creation. I could try the advanced and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I have another laptop to try it on now, I will try that and report back. Any logs that either of you can suggest that I should be looking at? dmesg didn't show anything really obvious that I could find.
Last edited by stuckinoregon on 25. Dec 2009, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
stuckinoregon

Post by stuckinoregon »

Tried it twice on second machine, once with simple user setup and once with the advanced. Exactly the same results. It's recognizing that my user profile is set up with /home/*username* but states that it doesn't appear to exist. When I drop to the CLI and look, sure enough home is there, but theres nothing else under it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hmm, as I can see "Location: Oregon, US" I don't think you are using any special characters for your username?
Really a strange problem...
stuckinoregon

Post by stuckinoregon »

Downloading again and will see if there was just something wonky with the image. As I said, I did check the md5sum and burned at the slowest speed, but..... I really want this to work!!! :ugeek:
stuckinoregon

Post by stuckinoregon »

I'm in!!! :D

Seems to be tied to autopartitioning somehow. If I use the cfdisk in the installer all goes well. When I just let it partition for me, it fails to make the directory. ???? I have now reproduced this 4 times and with 2 different cds. Not sure whether I should mark this as solved since I only have found a solution but don't know what is actually happening.
stuckinoregon

Post by stuckinoregon »

Discovered that this has apparently been noted before...http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... opartition