flash-plugin needs mozilla-nss

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
crocusino

flash-plugin needs mozilla-nss

Post by crocusino »

I've found (at last!) why flash doesn't work in midori or opera. It's because the flash-plugin package ought to have mozilla-nss as a dependency.

After installing it, youtube seems to work in either browser.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: flash-plugin needs mozilla-nss

Post by gapan »

crocusino

Post by crocusino »

Hm, hm, ... how about writing a note about it in the packages' description?

I mean sth like:

If you want to see flash videos in the browser, you need 'flash-plugin' and also one of 'mozilla-nss' or seamonkey'-solibs' or 'seamonkey' to include all the necessary libraries.

and put it into the description of 'flash-plugin', 'opera', 'midori' and possibly other packages that concern. That would really improve Salix popularity out of the Slackers' community.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I appreciate that it's a pain (I've tripped up over this one myself more than once, but that's me showing my age); but I think the concern is that Flash is not free software. Some people therefore prefer to avoid it. That's a decision for each user, and it's not the distro's place to push it. Otherwise, it might well make sense to make both flash and seamonkey dependencies of all browser packages.

There is also that html5 thing.

In any case, thanks to your post, users searching the forum will now easily find the solution to this problem. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

We already wrote a note. It's in the FAQ section in the wiki. That's what the FAQ is for.
crocusino

Post by crocusino »

Yes, you are right it's better to let the choice up to each user. But it is a very disappointing experience to find the flash doesn't work if there is no obvious reason while for some other users it works with no clue why :shock:

It is definitely good to have this described on the wiki (I just didn't see it by mistake), but, truly, (as for me), a tiny note in the pkg descriptions would help a lot especially for newcomers not to be put off completely in the beginning.
retriever

Post by retriever »

I wrote a while back that flash wouldn't work for me. It would be nice if it worked out of the box. I know the devs are busy, but I would also like to see the latest Firefox release. I don't think that is too much to ask, or maybe it is, I dunno. :(
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

But it works out of the box. If you do a full mode installation it just works. If you do a basic mode installation, well... it's meant for advanced users that know what they're doing.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@ retriever
As for the latest Firefox, the trouble is, there seems to be a new one once or twice a month. The only reason Salix would keep up with those anyway is because of security issues. If there are no such issues, applications are updated to the latest version once per release cycle.

Furthermore, the default browser is now Midori.

Given all that, the ESR version (or whatever Mozilla calls long term support) seemed like a fair choice.