[SOLVED] sound through headphone jack...not through speakers

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
loopernow

[SOLVED] sound through headphone jack...not through speakers

Post by loopernow »

Hi there,

I installed Salix OS recently on a kind of whim...I had used a fluxbox-esque shell for Microsoft Windows before, and installed Ubuntu before, both a long time ago. At that time I didn't know much about the command line. Now I'm a bit more familiar with the MS-DOS command line, and to a much lesser extent the Linux terminal.

I'm quite the newbie in many, many ways, particularly in relation to Linux. But I can follow instructions! And learn a bit along the way.

Anyways, the issue is that speaker sound doesn't work. Headphone jack sound does. What can I do to troubleshoot this?

(I installed the Fluxbox Salix OS Live CD to my laptop.)
Last edited by loopernow on 19. Jan 2014, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
aurlaent
Donor

Re: sound through headphone jack but not through speakers

Post by aurlaent »

The first place I would try is

Code: Select all

alsamixer
That will show you and let you adjust all the levels for your sound card. Check for muted channels, etc.
If you don't find anything with that read some of these http://docs.slackware.com/tag:audio?do= ... &tag=audio
Then start searching for problems with your specific hardware.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You problem is most likely the same as this one:
http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php? ... 863#p21863

The solution is in that post and it would be similar for your card. You can find out your card chipset, either by launching alsamixer and see what it says at the top, or by running

aplay -l
After you make the changes (model=auto), you'll have to reboot to try them out. Alternatively you could unload the module and load it again with the specified options, but maybe that's too much for you right now. If it doesn't work with auto, try specifying a different model from the ones listed for your chipset in the text file.

You will need to have the kernel-source package to have that text file, so first, open a terminal, run

su
to become root and then

slapt-get -i kernel-source
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just made a wiki entry for this because it seems to come up from time to time:
http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/No_sound_i ... r_speakers
loopernow

Post by loopernow »

Thank you!

I was playing around with alsamixer a little bit before I posted, but it was late. Anyways, I'm not sure if I had to change the default card and if I actually did or not, but now I see that the speakers were muted. Unmuting them fixed it. Thanks again! I don't remember seeing that anything was muted last night, but who knows.

By the way, the in-program help screen for alsamixer doesn't indicate how to unmute (the 'M' key). Maybe this could be added to the wiki entry?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Done. But for future reference, that is a wiki, meaning that everyone can make edits to it. ;)
loopernow

Post by loopernow »

Point taken! :)