[Solved] Pulseaudio with multi media players

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
maspai

[Solved] Pulseaudio with multi media players

Post by maspai »

I have audacious and smplayer installed. Both can't play together, so I installed pulseaudio in sourcery for no avail. In ubuntu with pulseaudio installed, I could configure the 2 players to use pulseaudio and they played well together.
However, I prefer alsa if possible to solve this. Thanks.
Last edited by maspai on 11. Mar 2014, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for my noob-ness guys, i'm new in linux and salix.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Pulseaudio with multi media players

Post by gapan »

You don't need pulseaudio for that. You only need to set each application to output to alsa. Pulseaudio after all these years, still sucks.
maspai

Post by maspai »

gapan wrote:You don't need pulseaudio for that. You only need to set each application to output to alsa. Pulseaudio after all these years, still sucks.
I installed also gnome-mplayer just to compare. No sound at all (I tried in gnome-mplayer) if I choose alsa as output driver, while choosing the card directly (Direct ALSA Control) works but of course playing audacious shows error message

Code: Select all

ALSA error: snd_mixer_find_selem failed.
ALSA error: snd_pcm_open failed: Device or resource busy.
Doing this in reverse results the same (close gnome-mplayer and audacious plays well, next opened gnome-mplayer outputs no sound, even after selecting PulseAudio option in gnome-mplayer preference window).
Weird thing for me is this worked in major distros I tried (ubuntu, debian, fedora). :?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just tried it. Works fine here. I have audacious playing, set to ALSA output and then I launch gnome-mplayer and that plays just fine on top of it, using either the ALSA setting or the Default setting. So it must be something wrong with your configuration. Do you use the same /home as with other distributions? There could be some setting from another distribution that is interfering (like an ~/.asoundrc file). To make sure, create a new user account and try with that.

And get rid of pulseaudio!
maspai

Post by maspai »

Another problem. I logged in as new user and played only gnome-mplayer configured to use alsa. No sound. Sound came out only if I chose "alsa (1.0 - HDA ATI SB)" item, the sound card directly. So error saying that the card is busy popped up when tried to open audacious.
Can it be problem with hardware support by kernel?
maspai

Post by maspai »

Thank God I found the solution in http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... -driver-ho. By creating /etc/modprobe.d/asound.conf to set snd-hda-intel module, after reboot - and of course removing pulseaudio :-) - now multiple media players can output sound together.
Thanks also to gapan.