If caja file manager is selected as default file manager...

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
john256

If caja file manager is selected as default file manager...

Post by john256 »

... under "Settings" > "Preferred Applications", the panel button launches 6 (six!) instances of the file manager. BTW I noticed only by accident that caja is available as a file manager in the Salix-XFCE as transmission opened a folder with it (via the notification pop-up, despite the fact that the default XFCE application settings hadn't been touched at all) after a finished download. Using "Open Folder" from the context menu in transmission does the same, but the first instance opens the destination folder, while the other 5 just display the home directory.

I wonder if caja is indeed needed for the non-MATE edition, though.

Running: Salix OS 14.1, 32-bit XFCE-Edition.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: If caja file manager is selected as default file manager

Post by mimosa »

This looks like a problem with mimetypes. Maybe you can fix it through the 'preferred applications' settings in the menu.
john256

Post by john256 »

I have set the preferred file manager back to "Thunar" after experiencing the mentioned problem with the multiple Caja instances and things have been fine so far.

But if someone still prefers Caja, the problem with starting multiple instances of it should be fixed somehow.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Caja is certainly not installed by default in a salix xfce edition. If it is installed in your system, it is because you have installed it yourself. And just because it is part of mate, that doesn't mean that it's inaccessible from whatever environment you're using at the time. If it is installed, it is available, simple as that.

I'm not sure what's exactly wrong and multiple instances of caja are spawned when caja is launched outside of mate, but it is a known problem, one that the mate devs have not fixed for some time now, probably because it's not that important to them. They are always launching caja from within mate themselves anyway.
john256

Post by john256 »

gapan wrote:Caja is certainly not installed by default in a salix xfce edition. If it is installed in your system, it is because you have installed it yourself. And just because it is part of mate, that doesn't mean that it's inaccessible from whatever environment you're using at the time. If it is installed, it is available, simple as that.
8<
I was adjusting a fresh install of SalixOS XFCE for a friend, so I am convinced that Caja was available from the default install, or at least from the updates that were available at that time and immediately installed through Gslapt (to show him how to deal with future updates himself). Anyway, if I understand you correctly, I can uninstall it without further consequences - right?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It's not present in my 14.1 system. Note that the package is called "mate-file-manager". I suppose its conceivable it is (incorrectly?) pulled in as a dependency of something else you installed.

You should indeed be able to uninstall it with no ill consequences, but it might be interesting to do a dry run first:

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get --remove --simulate mate-file-manager
See what has been installed recently:

ls -t /var/log/packages | head
witek

Post by witek »

gapan wrote:I'm not sure what's exactly wrong and multiple instances of caja are spawned when caja is launched outside of mate, but it is a known problem, one that the mate devs have not fixed for some time now, probably because it's not that important to them. They are always launching caja from within mate themselves anyway.
This problem was an issue for me in Salix. But in Xubuntu/XFCE caja works as expected to start only one instance despites it is outside of mate.
john256

Post by john256 »

Mimosa, here is the information:

$ sudo slapt-get --remove --simulate mate-file-manager
Password:
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mate-document-viewer mate-file-archiver mate-file-manager 
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove, 0 not upgraded.
After unpacking 21.8MB disk space will be freed.
mate-document-viewer-1.8.0-i486-1gv is to be removed
mate-file-archiver-1.8.0-i486-1gv is to be removed
mate-file-manager-1.8.0-i486-1gv is to be removed
Done

$ ls -t /var/log/packages | head
powertop-2.4-i486-1
thermal_daemon-1.2.01-i486-1_SBo
TLP-0.5-i486-1_SBo
lapack-3.5.0-i486-1gv
gcc-gfortran-4.8.2-i486-1
google-chrome-34.0.1847.132-i386-1ro
webkitgtk-2.2.5-i486-1gv
slapt-src-0.3.2f-i486-1gv
udisks-1.0.5-i486-1_slack14.1
udisks2-2.1.3-i486-1_slack14.1
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The first four packages aren't present in my Salix 14.1 xfce install, and maybe those mate packages somehow got pulled in with them. Why not just try uninstalling them, and if it breaks anything, reinstall?

I think you mentioned you are setting up a machine for someone else; are you sure he hasn't been fiddling with it when your back was turned?
john256

Post by john256 »

powertop-2.4-i486-1
thermal_daemon-1.2.01-i486-1_SBo
TLP-0.5-i486-1_SBo
lapack-3.5.0-i486-1gv
gcc-gfortran-4.8.2-i486-1
google-chrome-34.0.1847.132-i386-1ro
were the first few packages I installed after the update process (webkitgtk-2.2.5-i486-1gv being the last in the queue) finished. As you can see some of these are custom-built and installed via installpkg, only powertop and gcc-gfortran were installed via Glapt. None of these pulled further packages to install and I was in control of the whole process.