Salix Openbox 14.1beta1

posixru

Re: Salix Openbox 14.1beta1

Post by posixru »

djemos wrote:Seamonkey is 33.7MB. Iso image could not fit in a 700MB CD.
It will become DVD iso which is not the case for 32bit iso images including pae and non pae kernels.
Change CD not need anything! Image
After installing Salix Openbox & 512Mb RAM is better to use SeaMonkey (this notice for those who are interested).
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I did uefi install without problems
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote: If you install the LiveCD on a usbstick/memory card with 'dd', then you are unable to write to the usbstick/memory card, I guess. So you are unable to install additional modules neither on '/modules' nor on '/optional'.
I will check something i have in mind (a script to copy to usb) and i will come back.
ikke wrote: Anyway, kindly tell me how to make a module form a directory : "mksquashfs /dir module.slm" this new way. What are the necessary options? (ao for compression)
1. Create a directory to install your packages e.g.

Code: Select all

mkdir module_name
2. Create a directory to hold your new modules

mkdir modules_dir
3. Install packages and deps in this directory e.g.

sudo spkg -i --root=module_name  package_name1.txz package_name2.txz

4. Create the module e.g.

sudo mksquashfs module_name modules_dir/09-module_name.slm -comp xz -b 1M
you will find your module in modules_dir directory

5. Suppose you forget to add a package or want to add another package to you module. Then type

sudo spkg -i --root=module_name  package_name3.txz
delete the old module e.g

sudo rm modules_dir/09-module_name.slm
and recreate it

ikke wrote: Also please let me know if you are planning to make a Salix Openbox 14.1 LiveCD?
Yes i do. But we have to talk first with the other team members on next team meeting on 1st June.
But there is a Slackel Live 6.0 Openbox CD (based on slackware current look at http://www.slackel.gr)
Try this till Salix Live Openbox appear.
ikke wrote: Will give my comments on the Salix KDE 14.1Beta LiveCdD in the right place.
Thank you
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

laprjns wrote:I did uefi install without problems
Thank you very much laprjns.
ibka

Post by ibka »

Did a installation on a computer, and here is my findings.

Computer
CPU: AMD 1.8GHz 64-bit
RAM: 1Gb
HD: 80Gb

Salix openbox 14.1 beta1 64-bit
keyboard: qwerty/sv-latin1
Installmode: Autoinstall
Mode: FULL
LILO destination: MBR
Hardware clock set to UTC: No
System language configuration: sv_SE.utf8
Numlock: Enabled
Select repository mirror: http://ftp.nluug.nl/

Install multimedia codecs: Ok

system-config-printer:
Install a Epson EPL-5500 connected to a print-server Ok
Install a Brother HL-2700CN color laser printer Ok

Install mozilla-firefox mozilla-firefox-l10n-sv-SE: Ok

SpaceFM:
Run a "Root Terminal" from the File menu.
A password dialog appears, enter my password then nothing happens.

The reason is gnsu, my dirty fix is to open gnsu and add this:

CMD=`echo ${CMD/-g -D SpaceFM Command/}`
after CMD="$@"
then it works
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Yes, you are right.
Thanks ibka.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:
ikke wrote: If you install the LiveCD on a usbstick/memory card with 'dd', then you are unable to write to the usbstick/memory card, I guess. So you are unable to install additional modules neither on '/modules' nor on '/optional'.
djemos wrote: I will check something i have in mind (a script to copy to usb) and i will come back.
Am curious. Such a script would be most welcome ... Ideally one should be able to install eg Salix Live KDE / Salix Live Openbox / Salix Live XFCE on the same stick.
ikke wrote:Anyway, kindly tell me how to make a module form a directory : "mksquashfs /dir module.slm" this new way. What are the necessary options? (ao for compression)
djemos wrote:4. Create the module e.g.

you will find your module in modules_dir directory
That was the line I was looking for. Thank you.
ikke wrote:Also please let me know if you are planning to make a Salix Openbox 14.1 LiveCD?
djemos wrote:Yes i do. But we have to talk first with the other team members on next team meeting on 1st June.
But there is a Slackel Live 6.0 Openbox CD (based on slackware current look at http://www.slackel.gr)
Try this till Salix Live Openbox appear.
Will give Slackel Live 6.0 Openbox CD a try. And let you have my comments.

Thank you very much.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:Am curious. Such a script would be most welcome ... Ideally one should be able to install eg Salix Live KDE / Salix Live Openbox / Salix Live XFCE on the same stick.
Boot Salix KDE Live Beta 14.1 from usb.
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

Hi, djemos,

I had some free time over the weekend to experiment with the test release, and here is my partial report. I hope it will be of some help to you ...

System specs: Are in my signature file below

Release: Openbox 14.1 beta1 (32-bit)

Installation: FULL install, on bare metal; root (/) partition of 12 GB, /home partition of 24 GB; both partitions have filesystem type of ext4. Everything went as expected.

LILO: Installed to the superblock (i.e., root partition). Boots fine (managed from Fedora 20's GRUB2 which is installed on the MBR).

Multimedia codecs and Multimedia peformance: Installation script worked perfectly. Used both VLC and Exaile to listen to Internet radio streams of my usual stations.

Gslapt: Works fine. Used it to install Firefox (which works fine) and LibreOffice (LO Writer works fine).

Problems / Glitches: Not sure whether I'm doing something wrong, but I cannot change the background using Nitrogen. I can add wallpaper to Nitrogen's mini-dialog window; however, when I click on the "Apply" button nothing happens. Using the alternative technique outlined below, I can change the background:

http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php? ... 8&start=20
"Re: Salix Openbox 14.0beta2." 8 Sept. 2013.

I will double-check on this to confirm and report back later tonight (after work). < Edit: Although this is not a major problem, I can confirm this behavior. Here are a couple of screenshots to illustrate what's happening ...

Nitrogen allows me to add wallpaper images but clicking on the "Apply" button changes only the background color of the bottom panel:

http://i.imgur.com/VbHQd2w.png

http://i.imgur.com/1UWmMfl.png

Because I'm not very familiar with either Openbox or the SpaceFM file manager, it's entirely possible that I'm doing this incorrectly, or that there is some sort of conflict between /home/david/.config/autostart.sh and the configuration settings of SpaceFM. Just thought I'd mention this, in case the behavior is unusual. >

This looks like good work to me; the OS seems solid, it is very fast and consumes little RAM. I can image myself using Salix Openbox full-time on my computer.

Thank you for your efforts on this. :)

P.S.
Thanks also to whoever created the Wiki entry on beta testing. It provides useful guidelines on how to structure a test report:

http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_Beta_Test
"How to Beta Test."
Last edited by gaucho on 28. May 2014, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gaucho wrote:Because I'm not very familiar with either Openbox or the SpaceFM file manager, it's entirely possible that I'm doing this incorrectly, or that there is some sort of conflict between /home/david/.config/autostart.sh and the configuration settings of SpaceFM. Just thought I'd mention this, in case the behavior is unusual.
There is a conflict with spacefm. If in autostart.sh use spacefm to set the background then nitrogen does not apply the background. If you comment the line of spacefm setting the background and uncomment the line using nitrogen to set the wallpaper background then nitrogen works.
In this case spacefm doesnot set the background. So you cannot use both.
Since using spacefm to set the background, desktop icons (e.g. salix-online etc) are also shown on desktop, i will remove nitrogen from lists and also menus.
If i use nitrogen no desktop icons are shown in desktop.
Thanks for reporting this.