Salix Openbox 14.1beta2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Openbox 14.1beta2

Post by djemos »

conky on a 32 p4 desktop system, uses 2.3% cpu
On my 64bit laptop conky use 1% of cpu. So it has to do with 32 or 64 bit.
after 1 second - conky running

no conky
after 1 second - no conky
conky use 2.3%
cpu 11.4% changes continuously no matter if conky is running or not. This depends from system procedures run every second.
11.4%cpu it is not conky's cpu usage.
If you take 2 screenshot's with or without conky running in 2-3 second's cpu% will be different.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, with conky running, conky itself is constantly ~10% and X is constantly ~15%. With conky closed, X is 0-5%.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

i updated more screenshots above.
Conky is not important. It will removed and user can install it after installation.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Even in your case, there is an important difference. When running conky, conky+X is ~8-12% combined. If conky is closed X is ~3.5%. So it's a difference of at least 5%.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:- root terminal is in spacefm source. It cannot be removed.
Of course it can! Just edit the source code! I can do it myself if you won't.
djemos wrote:About font sakura.conf in /home/user has to copied to /root so will be the same. Also in gnsu a line CMD=`echo ${CMD/-g -D SpaceFM Command/}` has to added adder CMD="$@" on line 7. Otherwise root terminal does not work. I did it manually.
No no no no no no! That is completely unacceptable! You just cannot do that! You are not allowed to edit system scripts on your own just because they don't suit you. What will happen when gnsu gets updated?
djemos wrote:- in beta1 irc icon was on desktop. If run update-all then appears. This is strange.
It shows fine now, without doing anything, I didn't change anything, so just let it be...
djemos wrote:- no problem with transparency and text reading here. Transparency is more well looking for desktop but can easily removed.
I think it should. The taskbar is not transparent anyway, so it makes a panel that is half transparent very ugly.
djemos wrote:- xterm is necessary for the user to log in from gdm if a problem occurs. If we removed then user cannot fix things.
What kind of problem? We don't have xterm in any of the other editions. If someone has a problem they can start an actual console anyway (Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc). You can do nothing more on xterm.

Further issues I have noted:
- the screensaver should be set to only a blank screen by default. Some 3D screensavers cause crashes with certain graphics cards.
- remove gnome-icon-theme package. It's not needed, we have mate-icon-theme.
- Set the Manager in the bottom of the spacefm window to autohide by default. It just takes up space most of the time.

I have further issues with spacefm...
- Why does it launch full screen the first time you launch it?
- Is there no trash functionality?
- Do you know that spacefm is now abandoned and unmaintained?

And with the panel:
- apart from removing transparency, I think we should remove rounded edges and make it 100% of the width. You don't gain anything by making it a fraction of the available width, it just leaves less space for the taskbar etc...
- remove dead space at the start of the panel. If it covers 100% of the screen, you should be able to open the menu by clicking at the bottom left edge of the screen. Also remove 10px of dead space before the clock. Make all other spaces 5px wide, they are too big as they are. Again, why waste space?
- change all "terminal-tango" icon instances in config with "utitilies-terminal" so it matches the rest of the theme
- No need for a "Terminal" menu item in the "Computer" menu, we already have Sakura in the Utilities menu. And the "Computer" menu should better be named "Exit". Also put "logout" after "Lock Display" and capitalize it too: "Log Out". You can also remove the separator.
- Set showwallpaper = false for the pager in the panel.
- Change spacefm icon in the launchbar to "user-home"
- I'm not sure about the usefulnes of the CPU meter, but I don't really mind
- I would prefer it if the battery applet didn't show up when you don't actually have a battery, but I guess that is not possible the way it is...

I'll need to have a look at the package lists too...
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

All done. I will write another post with details.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Also, the .xinitrc file in /etc/skel is different from the one in /etc/X11/xinitrc/
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Done.
Don't upload user-settings-*, zzz-settings-* packages on repos yet. This will be done after testing latest beta or rc1. To not change pkgrel.

Also htop appeared on fbpanel menus since exist on system on CORE package lists. And when user click on it cannot run. Because need this line to changed in htop.desktop (Exec=xterm -e /usr/bin/htop)
So either htop has to removed from CORE lists (in that case CORE will be different in openbox) or htop has to recompiled and add there what term (sakura?) when sakura exist only on openbox. This is why i added xterm in packages basic. And also made zzz-settings-openbox package)
Otherwise users will think this is a bug.
I cannot remove htop from fbpanel menus since they are updated automatically.

Any suggestions are welcome.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Doesn't fbpanel support Terminal=True in the .desktop file? Because if it doesn't, that's going to be a problem with more applications, not just htop.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

No, even Terminal=True exists in .desktop file, it does not work. So, no support for this.
So, next step is to remove fbpanel from package lists.
Another problem is that xdg-utils has to recompiled and add there "midori". Otherwise xdg-open will not launch midori when click on desktop salix-on-line icon or salix-irc icon.
I have done this so if agreed let me know to upload on package submissions.
Another option is to use firefox instead of midori.