Nvidia GeForce dark screen - driver installation

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
VAA

Nvidia GeForce dark screen - driver installation

Post by VAA »

My computer has built-in Nvidia GeForce 7025 video card.
It don't work after standard system installation with free driver in Slackware 13.0 and same problem is in Salix. X starts but the screen is black and even without back light on LCD monitor. In Slackware 12.x this card work with Vesa driver (not right screen resolution but there is picture), but in 13.0 it don´t work even with Vesa driver.
I have expеrience how to solve the problem in Slackware 13.0: it need proprietary driver installation.
I try to start in text mode and install previously downloaded proprietary driver. But got message that kernel source are missing. And really they are missing and I can not find it on second source CD. Should I take that package from Slackware 13.0?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Nvidia GeForce dark screen - driver installation

Post by JRD »

You can easily get that package from our repository:

Code: Select all

# slapt-get -u
# slapt-get -i kernel-source
Then you can compile the proprietary nvidia driver.
I'm curious why the vesa driver is not working anymore with your card on this xorg version...
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Can you provide your Xorg log for vesa configuration? Maybe there is a problem with your LCD. I get "No screens found." when I try with vesa but also works then with the nvidia driver.

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
VAA

Post by VAA »

to JRD: Thank You, that is exactly what I Need.
Of course, if slapt-get after installed already properly and ready to work and I must not write address of repository in config. Is it so, I hope?
I have some small experience to work with apt-get in Debian but slapt-get in Slackware is new for me.

to damNageHack:
Sorry, now I am at work and my computer at home. But when I tried to solve the same problem in Mint I see "out of range" message even after I have written monitor parameters in xorg.conf and something like kernel panic with Vesa driver: in text mode all was blinking and no keyboard input.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

VAA wrote:Of course, if slapt-get after installed already properly and ready to work and I must not write address of repository in config. Is it so, I hope?
You just need to run the commands as JRD wrote, nothing else. The repositories are already set properly in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

VAA wrote:I have some small experience to work with apt-get in Debian but slapt-get in Slackware is new for me.
Just execute both commands that JRD gave in the prior post in console as root. Nothing more to be done.
VAA wrote:I see "out of range" message even after I have written monitor parameters in xorg.conf and something like kernel panic with Vesa driver: in text mode all was blinking and no keyboard input.
Probably your config settings are wrong. I can not believe that vesa driver causes a kernel panic, but nvidia works :roll:
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
VAA

Post by VAA »

Thanks for ALL!
I have enough information, just should continue in the evening :)

I don't remember what was with Vesa in Slackware, last problem was in Mint 8 (Ubuntu), but in mint it was very like to kernel panic. And no picture in grafic mode.
So the problem with Nvidia and Vesa really exist. And not only on my computer. I found messages on forums about situation like I had.
VAA

Post by VAA »

Thanks, problem solved!