No internet after fresh installation

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
helam

No internet after fresh installation

Post by helam »

lspci:
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
After installation no internet, no connection to router, nothing...
It's ridiculous that if I need something , I need Internet, so where are drivers for these cards I can get?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: No internet after fresh installation

Post by gapan »

Any more info? What type of installation did you do? How did you set up your network? What modules are running?
helam

Post by helam »

gapan wrote:Any more info? What type of installation did you do? How did you set up your network? What modules are running?
Last software downloaded from the website - 32 bit.
Not at all, I put autoinstallation, click, click, click..., reboot, open gui - lsmod shows nothing about these drivers, ifconfig -a -> does not connect where I put manually all settings, gateway does not set up too.
web browsers does shoe nothing.
ping shows no respose from http://www.yahoo.com and from 192.168.1.1 (router).
modules? - by default defined by creators of the salixos.

As I understand the problem is not my hardware 9I used before debian lenny), the problem where to get ...ed drivers -(at home I can not do it - saliox installed, at work on winxp I need direct link to download...)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You didn't understand my questions...

1. What type of installation did you do? Core/Basic/Full?
2. How did you setup your network? Are you using wicd, netconf, something else? Are you using DHCP, or did you set a static IP? What is the output of ifconfig -a?
3. What modules are running? Or else: what is the output of lsmod?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

helam wrote:It's ridiculous that if I need something , I need Internet, so where are drivers for these cards I can get?
It would be indeed, but as it turns out, available drivers (in your case, r8169.ko, it seems) are already included with the kernel (look in /lib/modules/2.6.29.6-smp/kernel/drivers/net), no need to 'get' them from Internet.

The answers to the above queries will help understand why it apparently did not load as expected & how to eventually help you to set it correctly.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.