Choose to reboot after setup

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
pwatk

Choose to reboot after setup

Post by pwatk »

I'm kind of following on from this topic: an extra console in installer.

1. Instead of just auto-rebooting the system after setup completes, could you give the option to reboot or exit to the shell.

2. Could you include the generic kernel for us raid/lvm/luks users.

3. I'd like the kernel-source and cryptsetup packages to be included on the iso. I understand the space issues with regards to the kernel source but including cryptsetup would be beneficial.

Apart from that everything is Slack enough for me :) .
Shador

Re: Choose to reboot after setup

Post by Shador »

pwatk wrote:1. Instead of just auto-rebooting the system after setup completes, could you give the option to reboot or exit to the shell.
I think just pressing Ctrl + C should work:

Code: Select all

# end Salix setup script
sleep 10
reboot
Maybe the final dialog could be clarified by adding something like: "Press Ctrl + C to abort and return to the shell."
pwatk wrote:2. Could you include the generic kernel for us raid/lvm/luks users.
I don't see why one would need the generic kernel for that purpose? You can create a initrd with raid/lvm/luks modules with any kernel (unless the modules were disabled or built into the kernel binary). The static binaries which are added to the initrd for such purposes are independent from the kernel used.
pwatk wrote:3. I'd like the kernel-source and cryptsetup packages to be included on the iso. I understand the space issues with regards to the kernel source but including cryptsetup would be beneficial.
I totally agree. Cryptsetup (and lvm) should be included in the installation cd environment. As lvm is already there, cryptsetup shouldn't need much of additional dependencies. It's linked statically anyway.
Kernel-source could be a nice addition, but the space needed is very questionable. I would prefer a fully working kernel-headers package (i.e. one can compile nvidia, virtualbox, etc. drivers without complete source).
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Maybe the final dialog could be clarified by adding something like: "Press Ctrl + C to abort and return to the shell."
I kinda did that already. From an aesthetic point of view I just thought a button would be better or something like "Rebooting in 10 seconds, press <ok> to exit to shell".
I don't see why one would need the generic kernel for that purpose? You can create a initrd with raid/lvm/luks modules with any kernel (unless the modules were disabled or built into the kernel binary). The static binaries which are added to the initrd for such purposes are independent from the kernel used.
True, I'm just looking at this from a time saving point of view and avoiding instmod errors during boot. That said (thinking out loud here) if your savvy enough to setup a luks encrypted lvm raid then instmod errors using the huge kernel probably isn't gonna throw you :D
I totally agree. Cryptsetup (and lvm) should be included in the installation cd environment. As lvm is already there, cryptsetup shouldn't need much of additional dependencies. It's linked statically anyway.
I also forgot about mdadm.
Kernel-source could be a nice addition, but the space needed is very questionable. I would prefer a fully working kernel-headers package (i.e. one can compile nvidia, virtualbox, etc. drivers without complete source).
That would be prefect... if only life was that simple hey :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Shador wrote:I would prefer a fully working kernel-headers package (i.e. one can compile nvidia, virtualbox, etc. drivers without complete source).
To realize this, please everyone should write mails to Pat Volkerding or to the Slackware section at linuxquestions.org!
As kernel headers is a Slackware package, they should finally take care of these problems.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I will write to Pat. I found what are the missing files in the kernel-headers. Maybe Pat should reconsider this package...
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Maybe you have more luck at contacting AlienBob or some other Slackware guy.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)