Looking good

Other talk about Salix
Wolven

Looking good

Post by Wolven »

I just want to congratulate you guys on making what's looking like a really smooth distro. I've just booted the SalixLive 13.0RC3 ISO. I haven't been running it for more than a few minutes just testing some of the applications briefly, but I can already tell that this is a great distro. Everything is responsive and fast, running straight from CD without the 'toram' cheat. And everything I launch is working as it's supposed to.

You've managed to get a few things working which I'm still struggling with on my own project. (Wolvix) Like getting GDM to work live. (I can't for the life of me get it to launch X while live on Wolvix)

The live installer looks like a great tool. I've not tested it yet, but I really like all the options it provides while it's still clean and simple. The only thing I can put my finger on is that it looks like it's missing an option for having /home on a dedicated partition. Now this might be a design decision, or it might even be there as an option if you proceed with the install. Anyway, great work.

I'm totally jealous of what you've put together here. It's almost as I want to leave my own project behind and start developing for Salix instead... ;) At least I'm starting to reconsider some of the applications I've included by default, I'm going to look at weeding out some of the apps on the ISO. It's been very inspiring to try out Salix.

Good luck with the final release of SalixLive, by the look of RC3 it must be right around the corner.

Cheers!

-Wolven
zenwolf

Re: Looking good

Post by zenwolf »

Hello I tried your distro, I thought it no longer exists.
and ... Salute wolf :)
My Slackware chapter - http://unixforum.org/index.php?showforum=19 (Russian forum on Unix)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Wolven wrote:I just want to congratulate you guys on making what's looking like a really smooth distro. I've just booted the SalixLive 13.0RC3 ISO. I haven't been running it for more than a few minutes just testing some of the applications briefly, but I can already tell that this is a great distro. Everything is responsive and fast, running straight from CD without the 'toram' cheat. And everything I launch is working as it's supposed to.

You've managed to get a few things working which I'm still struggling with on my own project. (Wolvix) Like getting GDM to work live. (I can't for the life of me get it to launch X while live on Wolvix)

The live installer looks like a great tool. I've not tested it yet, but I really like all the options it provides while it's still clean and simple. The only thing I can put my finger on is that it looks like it's missing an option for having /home on a dedicated partition. Now this might be a design decision, or it might even be there as an option if you proceed with the install. Anyway, great work.

I'm totally jealous of what you've put together here. It's almost as I want to leave my own project behind and start developing for Salix instead... ;) At least I'm starting to reconsider some of the applications I've included by default, I'm going to look at weeding out some of the apps on the ISO. It's been very inspiring to try out Salix.

Good luck with the final release of SalixLive, by the look of RC3 it must be right around the corner.

Cheers!

-Wolven
Hi Wolven

Thank you very much for the encouragement & these kind words :)

Concerning the install of the /home directory on a dedicated partition, it is of course included in the installer (it is even encouraged to do so) but you can only see it when you proceed with the installation, after you choose the main partition (/).

It would certainly be a pleasure to work with you. In any case most of our utilities should be fully functional on most Slackware based distro. So don't hesitate to ask, for example, if you would like some help adapting the installer to Wolvix (mainly concerning the modules needing to be installed, some of the Salix markers, etc.)

Or else... yes! Why not come & help us develop Salix Live? Your experience & talent would certainly be most beneficial. In fact we do share most of the same goals really=> Extend Slackware KISS principle to the end-user experience while remaining totally compatible with it.

We can also imagine having one main Salix Live edition that replicate faithfully Salix standard edition while having other special flavored Salix Live editions that would offer different choices of applications. Or have Wolvix based on Salix Live... or... or any other scenario. But in any case, we definitely should work more together somehow, we would all benefit from it & learn from each others & up the quality of our LiveCDs.

:)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
zenwolf

Post by zenwolf »

It would be nice, I have both the distribution by me as the end user was interesting, to a joint product.
My Slackware chapter - http://unixforum.org/index.php?showforum=19 (Russian forum on Unix)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Welcome wolven :)

Thank you very much for your kind words. Although I had very little to do with the live version, your comments are mostly encouraging, especially coming from someone with your background and experience.

Concerning gdm, I'm not sure why you would be having such problems. Maybe it's a problem with the original package? I don't think we had any problems whatsoever in using it in a live environment. If you're basing your work in slack 13.0, perhaps you can try our gdm package, create a module out of it and see if that works..

As Akuna pointed out, we could probably find many ways that we could work together and both benefit from each other's effort. Feel free to join us for a closer chat in our jabber room if you like.
Grobsch

Post by Grobsch »

Hi, I'm the developer of GoblinX Linux and I registered here because Akuna helped me during the last years in many ways and I want to try work together with you. I have great experience maintaining a live distribution.

Everything from GoblinX will be moved to another project called Imagineos. This new project is born because I need a new way to get money and I will try start to sell to computer manufacters here in Brazil. The first iso for tests is not already finished and I still have to prepare the website and repository, but I can say I'm including some new features like Plymouth.

I hope we can help each other.

thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:Welcome wolven :)

Thank you very much for your kind words. Although I had very little to do with the live version, your comments are mostly encouraging, especially coming from someone with your background and experience.

Concerning gdm, I'm not sure why you would be having such problems. Maybe it's a problem with the original package? I don't think we had any problems whatsoever in using it in a live environment. If you're basing your work in slack 13.0, perhaps you can try our gdm package, create a module out of it and see if that works..

As Akuna pointed out, we could probably find many ways that we could work together and both benefit from each other's effort. Feel free to join us for a closer chat in our jabber room if you like.
Welcome wolven, welcome Grobsch,

I totally agree with gapan and Akuna, so I won't write another post :)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Grobsch wrote: I can say I'm including some new features like Plymouth.

I hope we can help each other.

Plymouth looks very promising. I'm eager to see how you implemented it.

JRD is putting the last touches & polishing on Salix Live 13.0. When it is finally out, maybe we should see how we could join force working on new LiveCDs based on Slackware/Salix current/13.1

This is great!

What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Grobsch

Post by Grobsch »

It was difficult to add Plymouth, I had to change some lines in linuxlive scripts, we must use initramfs instead of the old initrd, also re-mount union in the end of the linuxlive boot and some more changes. Plymouth is not very stable right now but it's working.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Akuna wrote:Plymouth looks very promising. I'm eager to see how you implemented it.
Same here! I was not able to get it working for Salix 13.0, so we've used splashy.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)