Another new Salix user

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Arael

Another new Salix user

Post by Arael »

Hi guys,

I would like to thank you all for your work. I have installed Salix at home on my desktop and on the laptop. The latter is used for work.

I'm a computer scientist currently working in an e-learning and web developing laboratory. I have left the previous distro not because I didn't like it anymore but because I needed something more stable. I have been Slackware user for long time and I loved it but in the end I left it because compiling every thing I needed was time consuming and laborious. That's why I choose something different. I have gained a lot of packages but I have lost the stability of Slackware. Every time Slackware was released I tried it but it never lasted afterwards. This time I really feel that I have found what I need.

Being Salix a Slackware extension I have all stability and software I need for getting my job done. Actually I compiled only four packages so far. All other packages I needed were available in the official repository. What I really like is that most of the software I use is from the Slackware repositories and I have the dependency checking without being limited by it.

The artwork is amazing. I love plants. Being myself vegan I really appreciate your logo. I have read your interview and I like the philosophy you base on. I think that this is very important. A reach inner universe is a fundamental base for living better and doing better. The extreme care for what we are doing is not only Zen but it is also the best path for the perfection.

I really hope more and more people will appreciate your worthy work. I feel that this distro will become more widespread and when this happens I hope you will always remain close to your purpose to make an OS that is "Like a bonsai, small, light and the product of infinite care."

Keep up the good work guys. ;)

PS: I complied the missing packages using Sbopkg. What do you guys think about it?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Another new Salix user

Post by Akuna »

Hi Arael,

Welcome & thank you for the kind words.

Sbopkg is great & useful.

If you like compiling packages, you could also learn to use slkbuild & submit your packages so that Slackware/Salix community could benefit from your efforts. ;)

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/C ... :Packaging
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Arael

Re: Another new Salix user

Post by Arael »

Thank you. Next time I need a package not available in the official repository I will try to build it by using slkbuild.