Salix and Intel i5 core processors? [SOLVED]

Other talk about Salix
Prime

Salix and Intel i5 core processors? [SOLVED]

Post by Prime »

Dose anyone know if Salix works with the new Intel i5 core processor family, i3 and i7 being the other two, and if so how do you like it? I am thinking about getting a MSI laptop with a i5 in it.
Last edited by Prime on 11. Apr 2010, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Computer Do Something!! Sure thing fella! Switching to manual controls, Good Luck!" The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix and Intel i5 core processors?

Post by gapan »

I don't have any i5 CPU, but why shouldn't it work?
Prime

Post by Prime »

I have gotten mixed reviews about it, some say yes it works while others say they are having problems with the integrated graphics.
"Computer Do Something!! Sure thing fella! Switching to manual controls, Good Luck!" The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Prime

Re: Salix and Intel i5 core processors? [SOLVED]

Post by Prime »

I think a netbook might be what I need. I have a desktop to handle most of my stuff and it is set up as a server so I posted a new topic on netbooks.

Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

Prime wrote:I have gotten mixed reviews about it, some say yes it works while others say they are having problems with the integrated graphics.
and since when the video card is a part of the processor?? :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

The new i5 core family of processors have the GPU's built into the chip itself. You can buy systems that have a i3,i5,i7 chip in them with a standalone graphics card but they are kinda expensive. The i5 family of processors use Hyper Threading so with your one chip becomes up to four virtual processors and that is where the integrated GPU fits in, works and alot like a Xen server but on a chip level.

antman

Post by antman »

Prime wrote:The new i5 core family of processors have the GPU's built into the chip itself. You can buy systems that have a i3,i5,i7 chip in them with a standalone graphics card but they are kinda expensive. The i5 family of processors use Hyper Threading so with your one chip becomes up to four virtual processors and that is where the integrated GPU fits in, works and alot like a Xen server but on a chip level.
Wow... that's pretty cool. I guess a linux distro would need the most current kernel and be 64bit in order to make use of the new chip features :?: