Use filezilla instead of gftp as the default FTP client

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Atticus

Use filezilla instead of gftp as the default FTP client

Post by Atticus »

There may be people that still use gFTP, but in my opinion FileZilla is much better, and it really only requires wxGTK, which is in the repositories already. What do you guys think of replacing gFTP with FileZilla? Or at least providing a package in the repositories.
omns

Re: Use filezilla instead of gftp as the default FTP client

Post by omns »

Why is Filezilla better? What does it do better than gFTP?
omnsproject
I don't think - I am
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

What's wrong with gftp?

gftp: 584KB
filezilla+wxGTK: >10MB

If someone makes packages for filezilla, we'll gladly add them to the repositories of course.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I will do it as Filezilla is also known on Windows, so people coming from Windows will find a software they already know if they wanted to.
But yes gFTP is working as good as Filezilla.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Personally, I find filezilla easier and nicer to use. I don't know if I could offer a point-by-point comparison of each's features, though. I can understand if this isn't enough to convince you guys ;)

I was able to use the available SlackBuild from slackbuilds.org to build filezilla, but it required gnutls 2.6.x rather than the gnutls 2.8.x that is installed. Luckily I could downgrade easily with gslapt. So that may throw a wrench in the plan to package filezilla.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I don't want to have wxGTK on the iso for one program only. ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I didn't say this for the ISO, just for the repo. I will do it for the repo I meant.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:I didn't say this for the ISO, just for the repo. I will do it for the repo I meant.
And I did not answer to you but to the thread opener :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
devnet

Post by devnet »

I find filezilla much more stable than gftp when using SFTP to transfer files. I'll use this example...I tried to transfer 3 wordpress themes to a client's install using SFTP and gFTP and the transfer kept failing...I had corrupt uploads all over the place and incomplete themes.

I grabbed filezilla and launched it and had NO problems like this at all.

I've always had problems like this with gftp...and I'm not sure why. I just know I have them.
imar

Post by imar »

I concur that I am obliged to use filezilla more and more, just because gftp works less and less correct.
On Windows I only use filezilla just because it's the only good (and free) ftp client there is on that platform. Unfortunately LeechFTP didn't progress. ;)

But, just to consider another alternative, instead of choosing between a faulty default or a hefty good one, maybe fireftp is a good choice.
It's an xpi, and because firefox is already default....easy to implement. I'm not that much into GPL stuff, but I thought the mozdev creations were GPL. And, it's just 500KB.

I haven't tried fireFTP yet, but I will install and test it a bit and give feedback later.
Just wanted to share my two cents and give a heads up so others can check/consider this option.

Imar.
Nuts, by definition limited.