Thanks for a great OS

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
madmarv

Thanks for a great OS

Post by madmarv »

I've been a linux user for over ten years now, and a distro hopper for the last five or six. I have grown to love the simplicity of slackware but do not have the level of knowledge or time needed to manage it properly. Used Vector and Zenwalk for the last couple of years, then decided to try Salix. Love it. Using an older machine, Dell Dimension 8250 with 256MB RDRAM. It is very quick and responsive, and the wireless adapter (zd1211) works better than on any other system I've tried. I was also impressed with the variety in your own repos. So far have not needed to look further. Only negative, your codecs package leaves some .wmv files without sound. Not unique to you, and not a serious problem for me. Looking forward to getting to know Salix much better.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Thanks for a great OS

Post by thenktor »

Thanks for your kind words :)
Regarding your .wmv problem: Perhaps this is caused by GStreamer? I'm having some sound problems with few Apple cinema trailers. But as usual when it comes to a variety of multimedia files: One player/engine is not enough to play everything. It's always good to have some alternatives. So perhaps along with the Gstreamer based Totem you want to install these players: MPlayer, xine, vlc 8-) I'm sure one of those will play your files fine.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
madmarv

Post by madmarv »

Actually, no, Xine wouldn't play it either. The problem would appear to be with the codecs package. I went to the mplayer site, downloaded the current codecs package from them, extracted it and copied the files to /usr/lib/codecs. All good now.

Enjoying the system. Only other (very minor) problem was that the screen resolution was set too high for comfort, and I had to create a minimal xorg.conf file. Aside from these two small issues everything else is just as I wanted.

Thanks again.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hmm, what audio codec di these files have that you need the windows codecs pack? I did not find such files for a long time now.

Regarding the screen resolution: It is always set to the maximum resolution the monitor announces via EDID. This resolution is always perfect for TFTs but probably never for CRTs ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
madmarv

Post by madmarv »

Files used the wma v3 (0x16) audio codecs. I believe this proprietary codec was introduced with W*dows Media Player v9.
-------
Yeah, my stoneage system still uses an old CRT. I'm used to dealing with old hardware, though, so no problem.