gnome-screensaver or something else instead of xscreensaver

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Arael

gnome-screensaver or something else instead of xscreensaver

Post by Arael »

I would like to suggest replacing xscreensaver with gnome-screensaver because xscreensaver is not able to hide notifications when active. When someone writes me in skype all the messages are visible although the screen is locked. Same thing with sonata and every other notification.

One more nice feature of the gnome-screensaver is the "leave a message" feature. When the screen is locked in the authentication window is possible to click a button and leave a message. Once the user unlocks the screen the message pops up.

I know that the disadvantage of having gnome-screensaver are all those gnome dependencies. But perhaps is possible somehow to strip it down like you did with evince.

It's just a suggestion anyway. If you guys don't plan to include gnome-screensaver I can understand that.

I don't know if this strange behavior of xscreensaver can be fixed by enabling some option. Intuitively I would say that this requires a patch.

It would improve the user experience in my opinion. =)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: gnome-screensaver or something else instead of xscreensaver

Post by gapan »

Have a read through the xscreensaver FAQ, particularly:
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#popup-windows
and
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.htm ... creensaver

In any case, extra dependencies forbid us to use gnome-screensaver, even if we wanted to. But if you like it more, you can always install it from the gnome-slackbuilds project (same for any other gnome application we don't have).
Arael

Post by Arael »

gapan wrote:Have a read through the xscreensaver FAQ, particularly:
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#popup-windows
and
http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.htm ... creensaver

In any case, extra dependencies forbid us to use gnome-screensaver, even if we wanted to. But if you like it more, you can always install it from the gnome-slackbuilds project (same for any other gnome application we don't have).
Ok. Thank you very much. I should have searched before posting.

Anyway switching to another window manager is not a solution in my case because I didn't find anything better than openbox so far. I'm going to install gnome-screensaver which doesn't have this problem.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I wonder how gnome-screensaver do if the xscreensaver author is right about X11 protocol for windows management. It appears that there is a solution if gnome-screensaver managed to do it.
The xscreensaver author is bitter because one created another screensaver project without contributing to xscreensaver.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I don't think it's just bitterness. His security concerns seem perfectly valid to me.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:I wonder how gnome-screensaver do if the xscreensaver author is right about X11 protocol for windows management.
Maybe done by functions of additional libs?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
lmello

Post by lmello »

:shock:

This is actually the very first time I see someone who prefers gnome-screensaver over xscreensaver, I remember some 4-5 years ago when I was using Ubuntu that the thing most people complained about was "why not stick with xscreensaver?"
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

lmello wrote:"why not stick with xscreensaver?"
Why need a screensaver at all nowadays? TFT and LCD monitors can not burn, neither some virtual machine inside vbox or something... There was already this nice joke between me and gapan in that other thread. :lol:
Although, automatic locking of console makes much sense to me, but this can be done easily by blanking screen and showing a password dialog.
Just my 5ct :)
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

damNageHack wrote:Why need a screensaver at all nowadays?
++

Screensavers suck! :mrgreen: :ugeek:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
lmello

Post by lmello »

thenktor wrote:
damNageHack wrote:Why need a screensaver at all nowadays?
++

Screensavers suck! :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Well, they are fun, aren't they?

Those who have never fooled around AfterDark may throw the first stone!

:geek: