13.0.2a : usersetup bug

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
crabs

13.0.2a : usersetup bug

Post by crabs »

Hello,

Because the 'user manager GUI' doesn't propose the modification of the home directory of a user, I launch usersetup in console mode with root account. After successfully creation, I can see 2 bugs :
1) home directory is correct in passwd file but all file for the default environment are copied into /home/'login' and not in the home provided in the input field.
2) when the group of the user is not 'users', it is correctly specified in passwd file but all files for the default environment have 'users' as group (group is correct when I use the GUI tool)

I use 'mv' and 'chown' as workaround.

Crabs
..., I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,'
--Patrick Volkerding - founder and maintainer of Slackware--

Le monde de crabs
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: 13.0.2a : usersetup bug

Post by gapan »

Sorry, but I can't confirm those. I just created a new user using the "advanced mode" user creation in usersetup with a homedir other than /home/username, using a different main group than users and everything seems to be created perfectly.

Do you have the latest salixtools package installed? It should be version 0.9.9.
crabs

Post by crabs »

In fact, I don't create a user during the install process (I don't know that is a necessary action), and I try to do this after the first boot in console mode (root login not granted with gdm). This new Salix Install is on a multiboot laptop with some linux distro and a shared home partition. My "shared user" has a common working directory and one sub-directory for each Linux distro (the real homedir).
I have the bug after the first boot. I create a simple user with the "simple mode" on the console, I use it for connecting with gdm to the Box and confirm the bug with the creation of my shared user. I try the GUI tool, but I can found the "homedir" input field, so back to the CLI...
After this, I connect the laptop to Internet, I upgrade all suggested packages, an install some localized package (openoffice, firefox) an elvis because vim is to sophisticated for me. Some time after I write this post...
My wife uses now the laptop on other distro (currently Slackware), I will try the suggested test later and confirm your information.

Crabs.

Le monde de crabs
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

crabs wrote:In fact, I don't create a user during the install process (I don't know that is a necessary action),
You seem to have missed a huge message during setup that says exactly that.
crabs

Post by crabs »

Hi gapan,

For the next install, I keep my daughter far from the keyboard (8 years ago, she doesn't already read English ;) but she helps me for press the return and arrows keys) and none of the huge messages can miss me... :roll: (No really important data on this old laptop, like a dataless workstation with NFS homedir).

I do an "install USB pen drive" (with unetbootin as recommended here) with the same release and it can boot an other laptop, I have the same user configuration and I will confirm if I have the same troubleshooting for the creation of the user during the install process.

Just a question, this laptop as a Mobility Radeon HD 3400 and with default driver no video acceleration provided with Slackware, debian... On Slackware 13.0 I must compile the new DRM for the card (r6xx and r7xx support) and force the use of radeonhd driver in xorg.conf. Did Salix OS have a package that do that ?

Crabs

Le monde de crabs
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

crabs wrote:I do an "install USB pen drive" (with unetbootin as recommended here) with the same release and it can boot an other laptop, I have the same user configuration and I will confirm if I have the same troubleshooting for the creation of the user during the install process.
Make sure you upgrade the salixtools package before trying anything.
crabs wrote:Just a question, this laptop as a Mobility Radeon HD 3400 and with default driver no video acceleration provided with Slackware, debian... On Slackware 13.0 I must compile the new DRM for the card (r6xx and r7xx support) and force the use of radeonhd driver in xorg.conf. Did Salix OS have a package that do that ?
No. Whatever you're doing in slackware, you should do it here too.
crabs

Post by crabs »

gapan wrote:Make sure you upgrade the salixtools package before trying anything.
I look into the "initrd" of the install cdrom and it seems that "usersetup" is lanched with chroot on the new root installed partition (is it right ?).
For do the suggested upgrade, should I replace the package in the salix/core directory by an updated package on the USB pen drive with the image of the install cdrom ? Should I use the salixtools package found here : http://download.salixos.org/i486/13.0/salix/ap/.
If it's not the right way, could you give me it ?

Thanks for your help,
Crabs

Le monde de crabs
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, it will not work that way. I'm telling you to first install from the iso, then upgrade the package using slapt-get and then try if it works.