Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote: I just tried it and can't see the problem.
https://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix ... ilo.gr.png
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Ah, that's not the string in your previous post! I have already shortened this one, so it will be complete in the next release. Thanks!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ibka wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 07:31
gapan wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 06:53
ibka wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 06:10 Hi
Just updated salixtools-gtk to 2.4.0 and it don't work.
After changing the hostname i can't start any applications. I need to log out and then log in again.
Can you give me more info on your setup? It works here and I'm wondering what's different.

Here, it will break if you use the hostname command line tool to change the hostname, but gtkhostsetup does not do that.
Installation on a 64-bit computer
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz x 8
RAM: 7,6 GiB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (1,5GiB)

* 64-bit ISO
* Bios
* Swedish
* Full installation

I have installed all updates that exists.
I have installed Swedish language for libreoffice
I have installed the Whisker menu

I haven't used the command line tool, it was the gtkhostsetup i used
I don't know what more information i can give you that could help, if you have any idea of what information you need let me know.
Thanks ibka. I'm not really sure what's different in my systems here and it works.

However, I made a Basic installation on an old asus eeepc and I can see the same problem there! So, I have something to work on. I have determined that at least in this system, the current hostname changes, as if you would have done if you had ran

Code: Select all

sudo hostname newhostname
yourself. In fact if you run:

sudo hostname oldhostname
everything starts working again!

I don't get why there is this difference between my systems yet, but I hope I'll find out.

Sidenote: 15.0alpha2 runs amazingly well on this old netbook with its extremely underpowered by todays standards Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM and 4GB system partition. I'm posting this from it using netsurf. Everything is snappy and RAM consumption is about 200M right now. I made a few tweeks to the iso before installing though, by removing some huge packages like firefox, llvm, vulkan_sdk and gcc, otherwise even Basic mode wouldn't fit in 4GB. I even removed all the locales I don't need after installation and now it's sitting at a comfortable 1GB free drive.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ibka wrote:I haven't used the command line tool, it was the gtkhostsetup i used
I confirm. After change the hostname on gtkhostsetup cannot run any application.
i have to logout and login again.
https://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix ... tsetup.png
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 09:25 Ah, that's not the string in your previous post! I have already shortened this one, so it will be complete in the next release. Thanks!
Sorry, for did not take a screenshot and typed the wrong string. It seems i am getting old. :-)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:Sidenote: 15.0alpha2 runs amazingly well on this old netbook with its extremely underpowered by todays standards Atom N270 CPU, 1GB RAM and 4GB system partition. I'm posting this from it using netsurf. Everything is snappy and RAM consumption is about 200M right now. I made a few tweeks to the iso before installing though, by removing some huge packages like firefox, llvm, vulkan_sdk and gcc, otherwise even Basic mode wouldn't fit in 4GB. I even removed all the locales I don't need after installation and now it's sitting at a comfortable 1GB free drive.
This is true and prove the worth of salix. From my experience all these years and from users i have contacted by email all over the world, you cannot imagine how useful is salix xfce for people who have old laptop and for their own reasons do not want to take a new one.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 07:45
Installing it!

ALERT: There were problems running the efibootmgr program! You may need to
rename the refind_x64.efi binary to the default name (EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi
on x86-64 systems, EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi on x86 systems, or
EFI/BOOT/bootaa64.efi on ARM64 systems) to have it run!
I believe that this means that efibootmgr was unable to install a boot menu item in the EFI nvm. This was confirmed when you found that there was no entry for refinding when booting. The refind install script tries to do two things using efibootmgr. The first is to install a boot menu entry for refind and the second is to make the refind boot entry the first boot option. In your case, it doesn't appear to be able to install the boot menu entry.
What hardware are you installing it on?
What is the output when you type efibootmgr in a terminal? Based on what you are reporting there should be no entry for refind.
You could try manually installing a boot entry item using efibootmgr in a terminal.

$ sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sd<disk> -p <partition>  -L rEFInd Boot Manager -l \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi
If successful, then the refind boot menu entry will be added as the first boot option.
mimosa wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 07:45 I tried renaming /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi both as suggested, and also as elilo.efi, which is what's in the other directories.

mimosa[~]$ ls /boot/efi/EFI/refind/
boot64.efi  drivers_x64  elilo.efi  icons  keys  refind.conf  refind_x64.efi  tools_x64
mimosa[~]$ ls /boot/efi/EFI/Salix-Xfce-15.0/
elilo.conf  elilo.efi  vmlinuz
The only thing I haven't tried is that path EFI/BOOT which has got to be wrong!
Renaming the refind binary, in this case, will not help since there is no boot menu entry that points to the /EFI/refind/ directory. The EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi is a fallback. When booting if all the boot menu entries fail to boot, the EFI boot manager tries to boot EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi binary as the last gasp. However, since you already have working boot options it will never default to this unless you make it the first boot option.
[/quote]
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Can someone experiencing the problem with gtkhostsetup try the following script?

#/bin/bash

CURRENT=`hostname`
gtkhostsetup
hostname $CURRENT
Just save it

sudo chmod +x myscript
and

sudo ./myscript
This seems to be a valid workaround for me.
ibka

Post by ibka »

I had some application running when i tested this and it looks like it worked, but when i closed all applications i couldn't start any application.
So i did a log out and tried it again with only a terminal running and it worked.
I then ran the script again and got the following warning:

(gtkhostsetup:12043): dbind-WARNING **: 17:33:42.470: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-Etv6ye89dK: No such file or directory
if i do a log out/log in the warning is gone.

I then did another test with only Thunar running in the directory where i have the script and open a terminal there and executed the script, i then closed Thunar and could start applications but when i closed the terminal again i can't start any applications.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

laprjns wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 13:07
You could try manually installing a boot entry item using efibootmgr in a terminal.

$ sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sd<disk> -p <partition>  -L rEFInd Boot Manager -l \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi
If successful, then the refind boot menu entry will be added as the first boot option.
Thanks laprjns, that did it!

This machine names its partitions oddly because of the NVMe storage, maybe that was the cause of the trouble (note the extra 'p'):

mimosa[~]$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
[....]
nvme0n1     259:0    0 232.9G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   954M  0 part /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0  36.6G  0 part 
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3    0  46.5G  0 part 
├─nvme0n1p4 259:4    0  44.9G  0 part /
└─nvme0n1p5 259:5    0 102.2G  0 part 
This was the successful version of the command:

sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1 -L rEFInd Boot Manager -l \EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi