problem installing from live cd 13.0

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: problem installing from live cd 13.0

Post by mimosa »

Basically, it seems the original problem is solved. I installed salixtools as per instructions earlier in this thread,

Code: Select all

root[one]# slapt-get -i salixtools
Reading Package Lists... Done

Preparing to replace salixtools-0.5.1-noarch-1gv with salixtools-0.9.9.1-noarch-1gv
Upgrading package salixtools-0.5.1-noarch-1gv -> salixtools-0.9.9.1-noarch-1gv...
| salixtools (various system utilities)
so what with the new installer

root[one]# upgradepkg /home/one/Download/salix-live-installer-0.2.1-noarch-1plb.txz
Upgrading package salix-live-installer-0.1-noarch-1plb -> salix-live-installer-0.2.1-noarch-1plb...
| Salix Live Installer - Install Salix Standard from LiveCD.
I thought I would try an actual install. These look like exactly the same two files you suggested I put directly on the USB. Here is what happened

root[one]# salix-live-installer.py
The ntpd is already running with pid: 12968 12964
umount: /dev/sda9: not mounted
mkfs.reiserfs 3.6.21 (2009 www.namesys.com
and then

Installing package kernel-modules-smp-2.6.29.6_smp-i686-3...
| kernel-modules (SMP Linux kernel modules)

ERROR: Too many arguments
USAGE: keyboardsetup [keymap] [numlock state (on or off)]
(If you want to specify a numlock state, you also have to specify a keymap)
EXAMPLE: keyboardsetup uk on
Setting locale to en_GB.utf8
python: xcb_io.c:242: process_responses: Assertion `(((long) (dpy->last_request_read) - (long) (dpy->request)) <= 0)' failed.
Aborted
root[one]# 
I could just reinstall using my Unetbootin USB but I did like the way the live installer helps you create mount points for other partitions and os\s, avoiding another problem I had

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=858

I\d love to learn how to do it the hard way, but I can see I have a lot to learn ;)

Incidentally, I\m curious as to what it was about my partition setup that caused the problem!
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

For the installer to work with the new salixtools, you must absolutely use the procedure & the specific directories (except for /NameOfYourSalixLiveUsbKey/ which you must adapt to your actual setup ) that I described here -> http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5764#p5764. It is not quite the same as a regular install (which is what you did ;) )

If you don't do it that specific way, the new salixtools won't be transfered to your new installed partition (they will stay on the USB key only, but that is no use) & you are bound to get that error message.

Basically the bug was due to a clash between /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda10 because some of my filters were too basic. Thankfully your particular setup revealed that. Thank you for helping me finding it out.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks for your patience and help, and to gapan for his input earlier. I'll follow your instructions to the letter, and hopefully I should have a working Salix in no time.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Unfortunately I got the same error message about the keyboard.

I did deviate slightly from the instructions. I "exploded" the files to the USB from within Salix live, then rebooted it and ran the installer. However, surely this is the same as if I had used Ubuntu or another distro to unpack the archives - but I had trouble so tried it this way. Beforehand, the directory was empty, and afterwards, it contained subdirectories /etc /usr and /var. I noticed the directory was mentioned during boot just after the point where it looks for the persistence file, then waits for quite a long time (over a minute, does this need to be so long?). Presumably, during boot, the directory is examined and any files found are used to overwrite or add to the normal files.

Could this be a problem because the keyboard layout does not match the locale?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Oops oops... my mistake! I gave you wrong instructions :oops:

Well, technically not wrong but incomplete actually. What you did is fine & the new installer & the new Salix tools are now installed in your USB Live key. You can just leave it that way so you don't have to reinstall the new Live Installer each Live session.

But for the new Salix Tools to be transferred to your new installed partition, the package you downloaded also have to be copied (not installed or exploded) to the /packages/std-kernel/ directory (I edited the original post to complete the instructions):

cp /path/to/the/downloaded/salixtools-0.9.9.1-noarch-1gv.txz /media/NameOfYourSalixLiveUsbKey/packages/std-kernel/
Now *that* will ensure the new SalixTools will be transferred to your new installed partition (along with the kernel packages) & the installer will not complain about the keyboard anymore. :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It worked! However, I did have a problem with Lilo. I didn't actually want to use Lilo (stick with what I know, in my case, grub legacy) but thought I would see how the process looked. I clicked Yes; there was a delay; perhaps foolishly, I clicked yes again, then no. This felt exactly like the behaviour of the partition section of the installer. But then the window appeared, with some very nice-looking options :) ... and the mouse froze. This has happened to me in a few other contexts too, and now that I have a proper installation running, I will see if I can detect any pattern to it. If it happened a lot, it would be a deal-breaker - one of the great virtues of Slackware supposedly being stability.

A detail - my previous install (non-live) used the kernel huge - 2.6.29.6; the live install chose huge-sms-2.6.29.6-sms (from memory) so I had to edit menu.lst accordingly to get it to boot. Yet the machine and setup are the same (a cheap machine with Intel Atom and 1GB RAM). By the way, what is the equivalent of gedit in Salix?
Shador

Post by Shador »

mimosa wrote:By the way, what is the equivalent of gedit in Salix?
mousepad (more like notepad) or geany (more like an IDE), surely there are others too and (g)vim and emacs are not missing either
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Another little thing ... time was set to /mnt/sda9Brazil/East. I managed to reset it to /Brazil/East within System/System clock. The keyboard and British English locale seem to be fine.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

mimosa wrote:time was set to /mnt/sda9Brazil/East.
Interesting! :lol:

Where did you find that out? in the installer or in the new installed Salix system?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

In the new installed system - the time was wrong and that was the bizarre setting I found. I told the installer Brazil/East. (Incidentally there is a detail about summer time in Brazil - only part of Brazil has it - including Rio and São Paulo. So "East" may not be enough information.) It was easy enough to change, though.