Cinnamon File Manager - Nemo

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
dave1953
Donor

Cinnamon File Manager - Nemo

Post by dave1953 »

I've posted this once, but couldn't see any sight when I accessed the forum. So apologies if this posts twice.

I really like the Cinnamon desktop file manager Nemo and I wish it were possible to install nemo file manager, nemo-fileroller and nemo-share in Salix Linux without the necessity of installing the whole Cinnamon desktop environment.

Thank you.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Cinnamon File Manager - Nemo

Post by gapan »

I've never tried the cinnamon apps, but are they that different from the respective MATE apps we already have available (caja, atril, engrampa...)?
dave1953
Donor

Post by dave1953 »

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read my post. Fundamentally I suppose Thunar can do what I personally need thanks to you very kindly adding thunar-share plugin to the Salix resource; however it is purely a personal preference that I really like Nemo as i find it very easy and convenient. I always install Nemo (usually) in any distribution I have used, with nemo-fileroller and nemo-share, the only exception has been Slackware and Salix OS. As you rightly say, I can use Thunar (I have no experience of Caja as I've never used MATE), but if there is a "wish-list" for Salix then the nemo items listed would be at the top for me personally. Purely a selfish, personal preference.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Thunar is a different beast and I'm not suggesting that. But Caja and Nemo are both evolutions of the old gnome 2.x nautilus, so they should be pretty similar (although I repeat that I haven't tried Nemo). That's why I'm suggesting Caja.
dave1953
Donor

Post by dave1953 »

Thanks. I'll have a look. Not at the computer at the moment. I assume Caja etc is available from gpt-slapt within Salix OS?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, it is.
dave1953
Donor

Post by dave1953 »

Thanks
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I found some time, so I built 64bit packages for nemo + dependencies. You can find them here:
https://people.salixos.org/gapan/nemo/

Get all the packages, put them somewhere on your hard drive and in the same folder run:

Code: Select all

sudo spkg *.txz
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

George, out of curiosity I installed nemo with your packages, thanks.

I just needed to also type "slapt-src -i exempi" as exempi is shipped in Salix but not in Slint.

But I am too accustomed to PCManFM-Qt to switch and at first glance I didn't find features in nemo not available in Caja or PCManFM-Qt.
brocashelm

Post by brocashelm »

I'm a bit surprised that not even Slackware itself provides Nemo or any other Cinnamon-related packages. Nothing via the SlackBuilds repository, either...