problem installing "binary plugin" for HP printer [solved]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: problem installing "binary plugin" for HP printer

Post by djemos »

mimosa, i found this on google.
Not very intuitive, but I found out that lifting the cover to access the toner and putting it down without touching anything else will clear the out of paper error and continue printing...
This printer has problem when it ran out of paper. So try this.
Open and close the printer's toner door to prompted the printer to resume the job.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Hi mimosa, I happen to have a very similar printer which I managed to get it working on Salix - after some trouble. I'm not at home for a few days so I can't check, but I doubt the driver you use is the proper one.Did you manage to make hp-plugin working? Do you have python-distro installed?
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks djemos, I'll definitely try that if it recurs.

Papasot, I doubt it is the proper one too. I will keep playing with it now and see what breaks it. But I installed with the script suggested by djemos, and not hplip. python-distro is now installed as a dependency after your post about it.

But I am happy to have a cheap printer, if it works, even imperfectly. The newer ones are a nightmare, with expensive inks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote: 4. Aug 2023, 08:23 However, before sending the printer back, I'd like to try the generic method you mention; but I'm not quite sure how to go about it ... is it the option in CUPS where it asks you to choose your printer model "or provide a PPD file"? I did try something I had found somewhere but it didn't do the trick.
Yes, instead of picking "HP" as the make of your printer, you pick "Generic" and then proceed to pick one of the generic postscript or PCL drivers. It should work, even if with less features than your printer specific driver.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Years ago, I bought a HP printer which I assume it is very similar to yours (Laserjet Professional P1102w if I recall correctly) and it worked without issues or compromises since Salix 13. I don't quite remember the process - and like I said I'm not at home to check - but what I do remember for sure is that it in Salix 15 I needed a HP "proprietary" driver which was downloaded by hp-plugin. I definitely don't use a generic driver, but it could be a workaround if hp-plugin isn't able to find the proper driver. I will be able to tell more when I am back home, where I will try to repeat the installation process on a laptop.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: problem installing "binary plugin" for HP printer [solved]

Post by mimosa »

Thanks to all for your help.

Here is what I did:

1. git clone https://github.com/koenkooi/foo2zjs.git

... then followed the instructions in the INSTALL file. Basically just make and make install (no need for extra files)

2. hplip was installed.

3 I installed the script system-config-printer suggested by djemos, and ran it, selecting the 'USB' option rather than hplip.

It works, and I will keep playing with it to get things "just right". For example, I still get the odd message about missing plugin ... but just ignore them, it still works.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

I am back home now, and I can confirm I have the same printer, but I don't use foo2zjs or anything similar. This is what CUPS says about my installed printer:

Code: Select all

Driver: HP LaserJet Professional p1102, hpcups 3.20.5, requires proprietary plugin
The proprietary plugin mentioned in the description was indeed installed with hp-plugin. The driver is stored in /etc/cups/ppd and it's a file with a very descriptive name: HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102.ppd. I don't know what went wrong with your installation but, if you want, I can upload the ppd file somewhere so you can download it or I can just email it (it's just ~11kb).
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Papasot. Does it match the one I have?

mimosa[ppd]$ md5sum HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102.ppd 
4fa2e566674fc9cff6277d079f185b0d  HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102.ppd
I will definitely have another fiddle with this at some point, to see if I can make it work in a more straightforward way.

Does your printer print double-sided? I imagine not, as it is a laser printer.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

mimosa wrote: 15. Aug 2023, 11:02 Thanks Papasot. Does it match the one I have?

mimosa[ppd]$ md5sum HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102.ppd 
4fa2e566674fc9cff6277d079f185b0d  HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102.ppd
Does your printer print double-sided? I imagine not, as it is a laser printer.
I'm really sorry for the very late response, I somehow didn't notice your latest post here. My driver has a different md5sum:

pap[ppd]$ md5sum HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102.ppd
0408ec7b01679dd37add2efda353aa8c  HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102.ppd
But that doesn't necessarily mean anything, it might be because of different LanguageVersion, for example (mine is in English), or even DefaultPageSize, orientation, etc. The driver is located at /etc/cups/ppd.

The printer does not support double sided printing, I have to print even pages, flip the pages over manually, then print odd pages. For its price though, I'd say it was and still is a bargain.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Papasot! All working well here, you are right, those are good printers and also the refill is reasonably straightforward.