Hello all...

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
rhtoras

Hello all...

Post by rhtoras »

Hello my friends. New to Salix os. I am a devuan and void user. I also use openbsd. I have 3 computers you see. I am new to development but already 5-6 years on linux. I installed Salix because it does not use systemD alhough it uses elogind and some components are present i.e gvfs. It seems a nice distro till now. I made an xfce theme mod to use in salix colours. The thing i had is gui installer could not let me install it whatever i did so i downloaded the text iso which btw is quite big and although it uses xfce this uses 820 mb/ram which i find too much compared to void xfce that only consumes 240-250 mb ram. I used to be xfce guy but nowdays i prefer lumina or icewm/fluxbox and so on. I can see why you chose xfce altough it's big. What i would like to do is to replace sysVinit with openrc where i saw it is possible. I think openrc is easier and more complete than sysVinit for the common tasks we do everyday and os even boots fatser when parallel boot is enabled. I installed some software i use although there was one particular that isn't available IDLE. When i type IDLE on terminal it says

Code: Select all

** IDLE can't import Tkinter.
Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **
and also there is something strange. When i type python --version it shows python 2 while on other distros show python3.

Any tips to do after installation are wellcome also what and when i have to update my os.
Thanks!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Hello all...

Post by gapan »

You need to install the tk and tcl packages.

What you describe about python is the standard naming for python executables. "python" (and "python2") for python2 and "python3" for python3. This had been the standard since python3 came out. Distributions that did not follow that were not following the standard. The last few years some distributions have deprecated python2 altogether, so they moved to having "python" symlinked to python3. But python2 is still a part of salix (and slackware) 15.0.
rhtoras

Post by rhtoras »

gapan wrote: 23. Nov 2023, 11:53 You need to install the tk and tcl packages.

What you describe about python is the standard naming for python executables. "python" (and "python2") for python2 and "python3" for python3. This had been the standard since python3 came out. Distributions that did not follow that were not following the standard. The last few years some distributions have deprecated python2 altogether, so they moved to having "python" symlinked to python3. But python2 is still a part of salix (and slackware) 15.0.
Thanks for the info, your post was very informative...now salix feels complete for my needs.
Any guide on what to do here and there could be helpfull too. If you have one because i found random blogs videos on the net could help if you point me out to. Thanks again...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

https://guide.salixos.org/
https://docs.salixos.org/