Back to the ORIGINS — overview of Slackware and its derivatives

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

This video is an overview of Slackware and its main derivatives. Slackware was created by Patrick Volkerding in 1993 and was originally based on the Softlanding Linux System (or SLS). It has since been the basis for many other distros, most notably the early versions of SUSE. To this day, Slackware is a completely independent project and remains the oldest Linux distribution still maintained, older even than Debian!

Papasot
Donor

Re: Back to the ORIGINS — overview of Slackware and its derivatives

Post by Papasot »

It is in Italian, but auto translate works surprisingly well. I actually didn't know SUSE was initially based on Slackware.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
sammy

Post by sammy »

Papasot wrote: 3. Jan 2024, 20:42 I actually didn't know SUSE was initially based on Slackware.
I didn't know that you didn't know that. But now that I know that you didn't know that but now you do, i know that this video might a good one to know. :D
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Papasot wrote: 3. Jan 2024, 20:42 It is in Italian, but auto translate works surprisingly well. I actually didn't know SUSE was initially based on Slackware.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_Linux

The second linux i used was suse 4.2 i think when i bought a cd disk from papasotiriou in Athens. The first linux was redhat 5.0. I did not like suse which was slow. Redhat was much better. Of cource till try Slackware 9.0 and 10.0 later.
Memories back on 1998.