Mismatched versions for kernel packages

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
coyotl

Mismatched versions for kernel packages

Post by coyotl »

Tried to install proprietary nvidia on a MSI Katana laptop , think it has gtx 1080. The kernel packages and I believe some nvidia kernel or module package were restricted or something. Tried the old method from the wiki - failed. I think there is a mismatch kernel -- source.. And that is the end of my patience with Salix for this machine, the nvidia driver is kinda important for it.
coyotl

Re: Moving to Salix 15 - how 2 avoid trouble

Post by coyotl »

The nouveau driver is not an option, it keeps glitching or whatever, screen garbled for a few seconds. happens in all distros it seems
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You need to have the same version for kernel and kernel-source packages.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

Ok thx then I assume I need the exact same kernel number from kernel org, try that.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

kernel.org? You need to install the right versions for packages you already have installed. We even have wiki pages about this. I guess nobody reads those...

https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_In ... DIA_driver
https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_in ... ent_kernel
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

The kernel packages are blocked or restricted or whatever in Gslapt. Cannot be removed or installed, and kernel huge is 5.15.63 while source package was 5.15.143 I think. So I downloaded the right kernel and changed symlinks in usr/src. Needed to configure kernel so put the config in /boot there and started a kernel config. Yes I saw the kernel packages wiki. Btw the screen 'glitching' stopped after nouveau got removed and blacklisted, now the laptop is running on the intel video chip. This is ok for this install.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

coyotl wrote: 10. Jan 2024, 20:51 The kernel packages are blocked or restricted or whatever in Gslapt.
You didn't read the wiki pages. Do that.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Mismatched versions for kernel packages

Post by gapan »

I split the last posts from the previous thread as they were not really related.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

About nvidia install, now I have a new install on this MSI Katana with a rtx 1650 mobile nvidia gpu. It has corresponding kernel packages installed per wiki instructions, 5.15.145. But the installer throws an error and says it can be nouveau, kernel package mismatch bla bla But nouveau is supposed to be blacklisted. The nvidia install log points to a gcc mismatch

warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel
The kernel was built by: gcc (GCC) 11.2.0
You are using: cc (GCC) 11.2.0

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if another driver, such as nouveau, is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA device(s), or no NVIDIA device installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

Bit hard to fix when the gcc version is in fact the same ;)

I uninstalled nouveau, so now it may not boot next time but nouveau glitches with this card so not an option anyway. I ran a config with the newly installed kernel source.
Last edited by coyotl on 9. Mar 2024, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

Working and I see no glitches, nouveau is uninstalled so possibly running on the intel video chip, if so fine as I'm using RegataOS for gaming on this gaming laptop

the nvidia driver could not be installed through gslapt as it needs an apparently absent nvidia-kernel package