Panel update notifier icon

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
notspecial

Panel update notifier icon

Post by notspecial »

Greetings,

I have a fresh install of Salix 15.0 Xfce. When I change the desktop Appearance->Icon theme to anything other than Qogir, the update notifier status icon changes to white with a red X. The effect is real-time with the panel icon changing immediately upon changing the icon theme.

While cosmetic, is there a remedy with using other icon themes?

Thanks.
notspecial

Re: Panel update notifier icon

Post by notspecial »

Likely related is the expand/collapse widgets in the gslapt Execute-->Summary window do not show unless using Qogir.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

What other icon themes are you trying? Do they inherit from hicolor?
notspecial

Post by notspecial »

Thank you for replying.

Long story is I have tried several icon themes. Although Salix is GTK oriented, this journey began when I started massaging the system for KDE and installed the Oxygen icon theme.

For myself I use Slackware 15.0 with KDE.

I am an experienced Slackware user but this is the first time I have tried using Salix. Mostly for another person for whom I am providing support. But since I am new to Salix I could be not understanding differences with Slackware and am causing the issues.

The white and red X icon is either the "gtk-missing-image" or "missing-image" icon.

I think the panel icon is only one symptom because gslapt is not showing widget icons correctly when not using Qogir.

My "try to change as little as possible" test is a fresh Full install and then install the Tango package. Wait for the update notifier to appear in the panel. Most of my testing is in a VM, but I have not installed the VirtualBox guest additions in that test environment.

I have not tested a Core or Basic install.

I have tried copying the "update[s]-notifier*" svg icon files to other icon theme directories, carefully replicating the directory paths. No luck. Unlike the parent Slackware, I notice in /usr/share/icons there is a "default" sym link. Browsing this forum indicates the sym link is necessary for some reason. I discovered the "default" link with icon theme duplication in the KDE control center and Xfce Settings.

Hopefully anybody reading this thread doesn't get sidetracked that I am using KDE in a GTK-oriented distro. In another VM I have extensively customized Salix for this other person with KDE. Everything is functioning nicely except this cosmetic issue with the panel icon and gslapt widget icons. My "try to change as little as possible" test indicates the problem is not KDE.

Currently I can only speculate about the root cause of this cosmetic glitch, but I have enough experience with Slackware that with some suggestions I am hoping to resolve the issue.

Thank you.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just saw this on my system with the tango theme too. Weird. There shouldn't be anything different with respect to slackware. I'll need to take a closer look and get back.
notspecial

Post by notspecial »

Thank you for confirming. Let me know how I can help test.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just uploaded a new salix-update-notifier package to the repos. You should get it as soon as mirrors sync. Turns out I was putting the updates-notifier icon in a "panel" directory in the hicolor theme, but that is not used by the hicolor theme. Moving the icon to the "apps" directory fixes it. Thanks for the report notspecial!
notspecial

Post by notspecial »

Thank you for your effort and time. A quick check indicates the panel icon now displays correctly.

Also mentioned in this thread (I can open a new thread) is the gslapt icons are not displaying correctly when not using Qogir.

The Summary dialog list window "expand" widgets do not show for the "Packages excluded" and "Packages to be upgraded". With the Qogir icon theme the icon is a right-facing triangle. With other icon themes there is no icon.

In the upper left of the same dialog, with the Qogir icon set the icon is a blue circle with a white question mark. With other icon themes such as Tango there is the "missing-image" white icon with a red X.

I'd attach a screen capture if I knew how.

Thanks again.
notspecial

Post by notspecial »

Thank you for your effort and time. A quick check indicates the panel icon now displays correctly.

Also mentioned in this thread (I can open a new thread) is the gslapt icons are not displaying correctly when not using Qogir.

The Summary dialog list window "expand" widgets do not show for the "Packages excluded" and "Packages to be upgraded". With the Qogir icon theme the icon is a right-facing triangle. With other icon themes there is no icon.

In the upper left of the same dialog, with the Qogir icon set the icon is a blue circle with a white question mark. With other icon themes such as Tango there is the "missing-image" white icon with a red X.

I'd attach a screen capture if I knew how.

Edit: I installed the caja file manager to test the expand/collapse widget icons in tree view. The same thing happens when toggling Qogir and other icon themes. The expand/collapse widget icons disappear when not using Qogir.

Some of the icons in the caja toolbar display with the "missing image" icon.

I tested different style themes, including the mate-themes and mint-themes packages. Testing was hit-and-miss. With some style themes the expand/collapse widgets appeared, but the caja toolbar icons always remained missing unless using the Qogir icon theme.

My wild guess is some kind of gtk.css conflict?

Thanks again.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If the problem only shows with some themes, I'm going to go with: it's a problem with the theme. You need to check exactly what other themes the one you're using needs: look for an "Inherits" line in each theme's /usr/share/icons/themename/index.theme file.

Most themes probably need the adwaita-icon-theme to work correctly. Tango certainly does.