Thunderbird pre-Stupernova

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
mobius

Thunderbird pre-Stupernova

Post by mobius »

Your version of Firefox is 115 ESR, which I think is a good choice.

For Thunderbird, please consider adding 102.15.1, the last release before "Stupernova", for those who likewise wish to stay with something that works.

Or perhaps there is another source for that package? Or some other way to install it? I've never compiled a Linux package before, but if some kind soul would provide some helpful instructions for doing so, I'm willing to give it a try. Or is the general recommendation against using anything that isn't in the repo?

One other thing I'd like, is the latest version of xfce4-terminal, which allows modifying the keyboard shortcuts. I downloaded the package, but don't know whether it is safe to directly install the new one over the old one?
Real men don't systemd.

Friends don't let friends systemd.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Thunderbird pre-Stupernova

Post by djemos »

To build the latest firefox and thunderbird package including all locales in one package.
mobius

Post by mobius »

But I don't want the latest Thunderbird. I want Thunderbird 102.15.1, the latest version before supernova.
Real men don't systemd.

gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You can get 102.13.0 from here: https://backup.salixos.org/monthly.5/re ... /packages/

Get it while it's still there and keep a copy locally. If you want any other version, you'll have to build it yourself as djemos suggested. It's not that hard.

edit: more versions available here, including 102.13.1 (these won't go away, probably): http://slackware.uk/cumulative/slackwar ... /packages/
mobius

Post by mobius »

Thanks, @gapan. From the link in @djemos' site (http://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.n ... /releases/), I found and downloaded thunderbird-102.15.1.tar.bz2. I don't know the difference between a .tar.bz2 and a .txz, but if you could point me to some instructions on how to use that .tar.bz2 file, I'm willing to give it a try.

Also, should I uninstall the existing Thunderbird package before trying to build this new one?
Real men don't systemd.

gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That's another option. That's not a package. That's just a binary tarball. You can just extract it somewhere, anywhere, and run it from there. Right click, Extract here, go into the folder it creates and run the binary.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Download thunderbird-102.15.1 packages for x86_64 or i686

to install the package for x86_64 type

Code: Select all

sudo spkg mozilla-thunderbird-102.15.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
or for i686

sudo spkg mozilla-thunderbird-102.15.1-i686-1dj.txz
To rebuild the 64bit package download SLKBUILD, langpacks.js and mozilla-thunderbird.desktop files and type

fakeroot slkbuild -X
or for 32bit

arch=i686 fakeroot slkbuild -X 
mobius

Post by mobius »

Thanks to both. @djemos thanks so much for building that package. I downloaded the x64, and installed according to your instructions, and it worked perfectly (I first uninstalled the existing Thunderbird). I now have Thunderbird 102.15.1 installed.

Next, will attempt copying my existing Thunderbird (and Firefox) profiles from Windows to Salix. There's bound to be a learning curve there!

Oh, how can I keep Thunderbird from updating itself? I know how to stop in from doing so on Windows, using policies, but don't know whether the same applies in Linux?
Real men don't systemd.

djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Edit /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc and add in the end of line EXCLUDE=^aaa_base,^devs,^glibc.*,^kernel-.*,^rootuser-settings,^zzz-settings.*,-i?86-,mozilla-thunderbird
mobius

Post by mobius »

Thanks, done.

I have Firefox 115.8.0esr-x86_64-1gv installed. Package manager also shows Firefox 115.8.0esr-x86_64-1_slack15.0, location Patches, which is not installed. Should I install it?

And, going back to my first post, I downloaded the latest xfce4-terminal (a .tar.bz2). Should I install that over top of the existing one, or should I remove the existing one first, or should I wait for the repo to be updated?
Real men don't systemd.